Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I'm a 26 year old female who's finally reached the point of

seeking medical advice for how...
I'm a 26 year old female who's finally reached the point of seeking medical advice for how I've been feeling since my childhood. I'm lazy, I worry constantly about stupid stuff, I don't make many friends, I've always been a "home body" and so was my mom and my grandma. The problem is, I WANT to get out more, I WANT to be more social and upbeat because I feel like I'm meant to be this way deep down inside.... but it takes a ton of effort due to my constant "bleh" mood. I'm always so unmotivated and I'm starting to believe I have a disorder. Everyone of my friends are more outgoing than I am. Sometimes I wonder how they are so happy and I always feel crappy. Sometimes I feel better when I drink coffee. My sister has an adderral prescription and I've taken a few in the past an felt great. I actually got stuff done around the house and danced around. Is that what I've come to? Is medicine the answer to my problems or is it something that can be fixed with counseling?
8/3/2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I think the symptoms that you are describing are either Dysthymia (which is considered a long term form of depression, but the symptoms are usually more moderate and not as severe).

DoctorZ :

Or Avoidant Personality Disorder

Customer:

Hmmm never heard of either. Lets read this

DoctorZ :

I am tending to lean more towards Dysthymia as you mentioned responding well to the Adderal. Adderral is a stimulant and can be beneficial in relieving symptoms of a depressive disorder

Customer:

They both describe me very well

Customer:

Not sure what started the shyness but I've been extremely quiet since I could remember. Since I started grade school

Customer:

Is medication my best bet?

Customer:

I feel very self aware, and I also feel like I know where my insecurities stem from

Customer:

nonetheless, it won't go away

DoctorZ :

Well actually I would start with a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and medication, both of these combined have a high rate of efficacy in helping you

Customer:

Am I most likely going to be like this forever? I realize that therapy may help, but is this just a part of who I am?

Customer:

Just asking because you probably see a lot of people like me

DoctorZ :

If it is dysthymia, then most likely it will not last forever, but if it is a personality disorder then it can last well into adulthood and may be present for the rest of your life. The good news is that with the medication and CBT therapy, you have a good chance of managing the symptoms for most of your life where they will not be a bother to you

Customer: Ok. I hope it's dysthymia. I will read more into it and schedule an appointment with a local psychiatrist
Customer: I like being around people and being social. When I have the energy and motivation
DoctorZ :

That sounds like a good plan, both of these disorders have good treatment outcomes, so I am confident that you will be fine in the long run

Customer: Ok. Thank you for your help. I will try all I can!
DoctorZ :

More and more I am leaning towards dysthymia because individuals with avoidant personality disorder do not want to mingle with others even if they had motivation, while dysthymia can cause a lack of motivation that will interfere with your social life

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at anytime

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service tonight

Customer: You've definitely given me more to think about. I was just self diagnosing myself with depression but I wanted a professional's outlook. Like I said, I've never heard of the disorders you just described to me so it helps a lot. I will keep I contact
Customer: Do I use this site to keep in contact?
DoctorZ :

You can ask another question again in the future at anytime and before your write the question you can say "For DoctorZ" to make sure that you want to speak with me

DoctorZ :

I am glad that I was able to give you some guidance and a good direction to go for treatment

DoctorZ :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Customer:

No problem!

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist