Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My boyfriend tried to commit suicide he takes wellbutrin and

my boyfriend tried to commit...
my boyfriend tried to commit suicide
he takes wellbutrin and klonopin
he also is an alcoholic, smokes pot, uses caffeine pills and sleeping pills
he has become paranoid and forgetful to the extreme
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2013
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr Vikas :

Very sorry to hear about his condition.

Dr Vikas :

What is his exact diagnosis?

Dr Vikas :

is he under treatment of a psychiatrist?

Customer:

depression and anxiety and he sees both a psychiatrist & psychologist but I don

Customer:

But I don't think they are helping him

Customer:

or he isn't being honest with him

Customer:

He was not completely honest with caseworker in the ICU before admission to 72 hours of mandatory observation.

Customer:

His attempt was Weds night, and today when visited him he was laughing and acting like nothing happened. He needs help and won't listen

Dr Vikas :

Depressive patients who are also alcoholic and consumes other substance abuse like pot, sleeping pills are very much prone to suicide.

Dr Vikas :

Smoking pot, alcohol, benzodiazepines can aggravate depressive symptoms and can also cause psychotic symptoms in induce psychosis in such patients.

Dr Vikas :

I really do appreciate your love and concerns towards him and can understand that you love him a lot but until and unless he stop drinking alcohol and cannabis his symptoms may worsen further.

Dr Vikas :

a paranoid patient has no insight regarding his or her illness and probably that is why he is not realizing the gravity of his situation right now.

Dr Vikas :

but don't worry, most likely his doctor will put him on some antipsychotic medicines and he will respond to them within the next few days.

Customer:

Is there anyway I can get through to him to help he see what he is doing to himself

Dr Vikas :

right now, it is not possible in my view till his condition stabilzes

Customer:

They haven't changed anything, and agree with him that he wasn't really trying to kill himself.This is his fourth attempt

Dr Vikas :

you mentioned that he is paranoid?

Dr Vikas :

and confused?

Dr Vikas :

Do you have any information regarding his medicines?

Customer:

Yes he thinks that people at work are talking about him,all they do is what anyone would do say hello and ask how his day is going.Then move on to talk to someone else and he thinks it is about him

Customer:

He takes Wellbutrin and Klonopin

Dr Vikas :

ok, any other symptoms like hearing voices, seeing things that others are not able to see,abnormal behavior

Dr Vikas :

etc.

Customer:

he had all of those weds night in the er, he had drank two bottles of wine and taken a hand full of Tylenol pm

Dr Vikas :

is his psychiatrist aware about his being paranoid towards his colleagues. ?

Customer:

under normal circumstances he is beyond forgetful, hyper and does not stay on task

Customer:

well I brought it up my boyfriend brushed it off and downgraded what he had previously told me, and I said as much to her

Customer:

he is extremely good at covering up/lying about these things,and says what he thinks ppl want to hear so he can maintain the things he does

Dr Vikas :

Oh, so probably he is hiding these facts from his doctor also.

Customer:

we were told 72 hours were mandatory but they could keep him longer,and I was hoping they would keep him longer, but theysay he will be released Monday

Customer:

Oh I am sure he is

Dr Vikas :

is it possible for you to discuss with his doctor about him in a little bit more detail.

Customer:

Because I have suggested before that we go together and he never set it up

Dr Vikas :

because most likely, if they are aware of information you provided here like him being paranoid, his doctor will consider changing his medicines.

Customer:

I did tell his caseworker everything the previous attempts, and filled in all the info he left out

Dr Vikas :

in that case, they will take notice of this information. In my view, adding a low dose antipsychotic like Olanzapine by his doctor should be helpful in his case.

Dr Vikas :

cannabis can itself worsen or aggravate psychotic symptoms in vulnerable patients.

Dr Vikas :

if you can speak to his doctor directly, this should help

Customer:

try to tell him that he has been using since college and is now 53

Dr Vikas :

no, you should discuss with him about his paranoid symptoms

Customer:

if the give him an antipsychotic is it going to do him any good if he continues drinking and pot

Dr Vikas :

and his multiple substance abuse

Dr Vikas :

see, many a times patients use alcohol, cannabis, sleeping pills to self medicate them

Dr Vikas :

in that case, if the symptoms they are trying to control are treated properly then these patients may stop consuming alcohol or other substance of abuse.

Dr Vikas :

antipsychotic is surely going to help in controlling his paranoid symptoms and can prevent further aggravation of these symptoms.

Customer:

couldn't his use of alcohol etc be causing his depression and anxiety to begin with

Dr Vikas :

I am not aware about the severity of his paranoid symptoms but I feel that his doctor should thoroughly asses him again to rule out any psychotic symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

yes, alcohol can worsen the already existing depression and anxiety symptoms

Dr Vikas :

agree with you totally here.

Dr Vikas :

but many a times,patient take alcohol etc to control his depression and anxiety symptoms also

Dr Vikas :

which only aggravate them further.

Customer:

thank god I was beginning to think I was crazy, he has told me his doctors see no problem here

Customer:

he is not being honest with any of us

Dr Vikas :

probably because he is hiding these facts from his doctor and here you be a lot of help to him

Dr Vikas :

just discuss with his doctor about your concerns

Customer:

guess it is a good thing he made me his contact and gave me free reign to his doctors

Dr Vikas :

yes,

Customer:

will request meeting with his dr myself in the morning instead of waiting for him to tell me he forgot to make the request when I go in for visitation

Dr Vikas :

good idea

Dr Vikas :

your input about his situation can be of great help

Dr Vikas :

most likely his doctor will modify his treatment

Customer:

thank you

Dr Vikas :

most welcome

Dr Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?

Customer:

I don't think so, I was afraid I was just being crazy about all of it. Now it is time for tough love and speaking to his assigned drs

Customer:

needed an outside opinion

Dr Vikas :

great. I really enjoyed working with you. please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. You can Bookmark my profile link in your browser. ( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )

Dr Vikas :

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer:

I will do that! Thank you

Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist