Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Can my family doctor prescribe Desoxyn? He is an D.O.

Can my family doctor prescribe...
7/23/2013
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. You have experience with Desoxyn and it works better than the more commonly prescribed Adderall. Both Adderall and Desoxyn are stimulants. However, Desoxyn is methamphetamine. As you most likely have heard, just on news reports if nowhere else, this is what is known as meth and is the most abused medication.

So you are facing an uphill battle getting any doctor to prescribe it for you. The DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) is now keeping track of all prescriptions for Desoxyn, perhaps even more than most medications, but it along with the benzodiazepines is being watched very carefully: which pharmacies and doctors are prescribing them a lot. Some pharmacies have been closed and some doctors investigated. So all doctors are now very, very cautious. For good reason, as you can imagine. They are very wary of jeopardizing their license to practice. So this makes everyone very suspect when coming in wanting meds for anxiety.

A D.O is licensed in every state to practice medicine. It is recognized as a licensure that grants prescription authority. So just as your doctor can prescribe Adderall, he can prescribe Desoxyn. The trick is to get him or anyone else today who is willing to do so.

If it will help, here is the link to the FDA sheet on Desoxyn, which doesn't make a big deal about it. I don't know if it will help you convince your doctor to prescribe it, but here it is for you to try as the sheet shows it to be just a controlled substance just as Adderall, Ritalin, and other medications are:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm088582.pdf

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist