Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have been having a difficult time lately with depression

and anxiety. I am...
I have been having a difficult time lately with depression and anxiety. I am 7 months pregnant and these problems started to occur when I was 6 months pregnant. It first began with negative thoughts, which would make me unhappy and cause anxiety. I just didn't feel like myself and knew something was a bit off. I expressed these feelings to my OBGYN, and he put me on 50 Mg of Zoloft and 30 Mg of Buspar. During the earlier stages of this, I begin to have instrusive music in my mind (songs that I had heard recently). I would hear it when I woke up or when I wasn't occupied. I'm sure I made it worse by thinking about it all the time and wishing it would go away. As this was a new experience to me, it became so intrusive and irratating that I couldn't sleep or eat. It consumed me as I had no idea what was wrong. At this point, I thought it would be a great idea to see a psychiatrist and make sure I was getting the proper care. It's been about 3 weeks since beginning the zoloft and buspar, and I feel a little better. I still have ups and downs. I'm not quite sure if the medications is leveling out or needs more time to work it's way into my system. There are still some mornings that I wake up and cry and don't want to get out of bed. I'm so ready to return to a calm mind and better concentration. The zoloft and buspar combo have allowed me to sleep and eat better, however, I still have the intrusive music/mind chatter, which is not quite as intense, but is still there and has become an obsession. My fear is that it will be with me for the rest of my life, which makes me feel very sad. The psychiatrist feel that my pregnancy hormones have a lot to do with this condition. In addition, I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes as I have really high blood sugar. This may also be a contributing factor to the depression and anxiety as well. Currently, I'm taking 100 Mg of Zoloft (I just increased my dose from 75 mg to 100 mg) on Saturday.
What frightens me the most is that I read many posts (in online chat forums) regarding depression and intrusive music and many of the people say that the music never goes away. This is very discouraging and makes me feel there is no hope. I really need some answers from someone who is familiar with this as my psychiatrist feels that the intrusive music is not really a "classic" OCD system and feels that it is a protection mechanism that my mind has created in dealing with the depression. I want someone to provide me with hope that this will not last forever. I have the most wonderful family (a great husband and 3 year old daughter with another girl due in September). I want my peace and happiness back in order to enjoy the people in my life that God has blessed me with. Please provide your experience with this and advise. I really need success stories in treatment and the best treatment options.
7/22/2013
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr Vikas :

This problem started after starting Zoloft or before that?

Dr Vikas :

Is there any positive history of OCD in your family?

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Customer:

The problem started before zoloft. My dad has had periods of time with depression and anxiety

Dr Vikas :

OK, thanks, ***** ***** you think that you are feeling much better now

Customer:

No. I feel a little better however I still have the intrusive music.

Dr Vikas :

OK, see, Zoloft is itself a very good antidepressant and also a preferred choice for OCD symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

You have recently increased the dose and there are high chances that you will notice improvement in this symptom too.

Customer:

How long does it generally take to see full results?

Customer:

Do you think this has something to do with hormones and gestational diabetes?

Dr Vikas :

You should notice good improvement in your symptoms within 2-3 weeks of increasing the dose. I do agree with your psychiatrist that although it is not a classic OCD symptoms but Zoloft is very effective in controlling intrusive thoughts

Dr Vikas :

Well, hormones and gestational diabetes may play some part in this.

Dr Vikas :

It is surely not because of Zoloft

Customer:

Have you heard of this anxiety symptom?

Dr Vikas :

don't worry, this is not a permanent symptoms and you will recover very soon.

Dr Vikas :

are you able to stop it by any means

Dr Vikas :

?

Customer:

when I'm focused on something. When I wake up, I automatically have a song in my mind.

Dr Vikas :

intrusive thoughts are a classic symptom of Obsessive rumination but intrusive music is not a very commonly reported symptom. However it is not an anxiety symptom in my view

Customer:

could it be caused by depression?

Dr Vikas :

it appears to be a variant of obsessive rumination to me. No, it is not a commonly reported symptom of depression also.

Dr Vikas :

have you ever tried thought stopping technique?

Customer:

What is that?

Dr Vikas :

I believe, thought stopping technique can be very useful for you in stopping it.

Customer:

Can you describe the process?

Dr Vikas :

It is a very useful technique for stopping obsessive rumination and may be helpful in your case too.

Dr Vikas :

just search for thought stopping technique on google. You can find several you tube videos also.

Dr Vikas :

do you want me to give you few links?

Dr Vikas :

for example

Customer:

If the intrusive music is not an anxiety symptom, what do you think is the cause?

Dr Vikas :

as I mentioned before, it appears to be a type of Obsessive rumination to me on the basis of what you have described in your question.

Dr Vikas :

although not a classic presentation as I mentioned above.

Dr Vikas :

in any case, assuming that it is variant of obsessive rumination, Zoloft can be very useful in controlling it.

Dr Vikas :

and thought stopping technique should also help.

Customer:

Should I think of it as an intrusive thought?

Dr Vikas :

well, as I am not having the detailed information it is a bit difficult to comment upon it honestly speaking. But it appears to be a type of obsessive rumination to me.

Dr Vikas :

in any case, whether it is an anxiety symptom or depressive symptom or Obsessive rumination, Zoloft can be useful in all the three cases.

Dr Vikas :

so you need not to worry too much in my view :)

Customer:

I feel that once I begin to quit worrying over this, it'll go away.

Dr Vikas :

yes, I totally agree with you here. :)

Customer:

I don't find my hope in reading message boards of people state that they has this all the time.

Dr Vikas :

You just need to relax and stop worrying about this symptom. This should help a lot.

Dr Vikas :

see every patient is unique and react differently to different medicine.

Dr Vikas :

what others are experiencing does not apply to you at all.

Dr Vikas :

the more you will search on these forum, more anxious you will become.

Customer:

I know. I need to stop. It seems that I have become obsessed with getting better.

Dr Vikas :

so just stop worrying.

Dr Vikas :

I can understand your situation.

Dr Vikas :

you should try the thought stopping technique and see if it helps in your case.

Customer:

Hopefully the zoloft will help the worrying too :) I'd like to be happy again and feel at peace.

Dr Vikas :

yes, it will definitely help.

Dr Vikas :

it is a very good antianxiety medicine too.

Customer:

I will try the thought stopping technique and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?

Customer:

No. I think you answered them all.

Dr Vikas :

great.

Dr Vikas :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. You can Bookmark my profile link in your browser.
( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )

Dr Vikas :

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist