Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My son aged 14 yrs was misdiagnosed and prescribed risperidone,

My son aged 14 yrs was misdiagnosed and prescribed risperidone, which he has been taking for 8 weeks now. He started with 4mg/day for 1 week, then 2mg for 2 weeks, then to 1mg for the past 5 weeks. How should I take him off the drug? Can he just stop taking it without any problem?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you and your son regarding going off the risperdal.

DoctorZ :

May I ask has he had any side effects visible as you have been weaning him off?

Customer:

No, except a common cold, which he didn't have until he started the medication.

DoctorZ :

The common cold is not really a side effect at all

DoctorZ :

And is 1mg pills the lowest dosage you have or do you have .5mg pills?

Customer:

1mg is the smallest I have but I'm able to split in two by hand.

DoctorZ :

Alright, and you mentioned that your son was misdiagnosed. What was he diagnosed with and why do you think it was a misdiagnosis?

Customer:

I was told the diagnosis was typhoid even though he had no symptoms of typhoid as far as I knew back then.

DoctorZ :

Typhoid? And they gave risperdal? That is odd

DoctorZ :

Typohoid is a bacterial infection, antibiotics would be the first line treatment

Customer:

Yes, as much as it is hard to believe! That's why I strongly believe the diagnosis is wrong.

DoctorZ :

Yes I think you have a good point on a misdiagnosis. May I ask has your son ever been diagnosed with depression or bipolar? And has he ever had a seizure before?

Customer:

No. Not all.

DoctorZ :

That is good news, makes for any side effects of withdrawing less likely

DoctorZ :

I would cut the pill in the half and give him 0.5mg a day for two weeks and then after that he can be off it completely.

DoctorZ :

Have you discussed weaning him off the medication with a physician?

Customer:

Yes. I discussed with a psychiatrist but she recommended I cut the drug in half and give for 3 days and stop.

DoctorZ :

3 days is a bit too soon in my opinion. I think 2 weeks is a much safer route especially with someone as young as your son.

DoctorZ :

Either way it is good that your psychiatrist knows about the decision to wean him off the medication.

Customer:

I'd like to go with your recommendation to wean off in two weeks, what if I'd like to give 0.25mg for the two weeks. Would that dose be too sharp a decrease?

DoctorZ :

I do not think .25 would be a sharp decrease, I am just going with your wean off schedule because it seems like you have cut it in half consistently and I wanted to continue that.

DoctorZ :

You can try the .5 for a few days and if you see no reaction from your son, then you may change to .25

Customer:

Ok. I will try 0.5mg for 7 days and change to 0.25 for 7 more days

DoctorZ :

That will most likely work. It may also benefit you and your son to let your psychiatrist know of this wean off schedule to keep him/her up to date.

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

I will let him know. I will also be observing my son for any withdrawal effects. Now how may contact you if I want to discuss any observations since you are the person I've provided this information. It will be convenient if I don't have to go over this conversation with a different expert the next time I log on on the same issue.

DoctorZ :

Of course I understand. You may request to speak only to me in any future questions. This will allow for only me to answer you

Customer:

How do I do that? request to speak to DoctorZ? that's how you're identified on my screen.

DoctorZ :

There may be an option to directly want to speak to me or you can write it in the first line of your question. "I only want to speak to DoctorZ"

Customer:

Ok. many thanks.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, i am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

Good luck to you and your son

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

You did!!!

DoctorZ :

Thank you