Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I suspect my son has narcissistic personality disorder. He

I suspect my son has narcissistic personality disorder. He is 25. How to help him ? how to find good psychiatrist? We leave in NJ.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern for your son

DoctorZ :

May I ask why you think he has narcissistic personality disorder? Like what symptoms have you observed that are causing you to feel this way?

DoctorZ :

Here is a link that can provide you with more details on narcissistic personality disorder

DoctorZ :

Unfortunately there is no medication that has been officially used to treat narcissistic personality disorder

DoctorZ :

But there are therapeutic treatment that have had some success in treatment for narcissistic personality disorder, the best therapy for this has been described as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Customer:

almost all listed in symptoms.

Customer:

• Reacts to criticism with anger, shame or humiliation

• Exaggerates own importance

• Exaggerates achievements and talents

• Entertains unrealistic fantasies about success, power, beauty, intelligence or romance

DoctorZ :

Okay I just wanted to make sure because a lot of symptoms have overlap and I wanted to individualize based on how you see your son

DoctorZ :

So my suggestion is to see a psychologist and not a psychiatrist because as I said medical intervention is typically not used for this disorder

DoctorZ :

A psychologist can also give your son a psychological evaluation with psychological assessments to properly diagnose your son

Customer:

But how to find qualified in NPD ? I afraid if we see someone and my son will not believe in his/her ability to help , I would be hard to reassuare him to see someone else

DoctorZ :

If you give your city, I can try to find a good psychologist that may specialize in areas of personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder

Customer:

East Brunswick, NJ

DoctorZ :

It is difficult for someone with NPD to see a therapist or psychologist because they do not view themselves as having a problem, so they rarely seek mental health treatment, so that may take time for him to be more open to therapy

DoctorZ :

I will take a look for you and possibly make a couple phone calls

Customer:

Thanks a lot

DoctorZ :

No problem, just give me a couple minutes to call and to find the right psychologist for your son

Customer:

thanks

DoctorZ :

So I tried calling this psychologist but she was not available, so I am not sure if she has experience in treating individuals with NPD. She does specialize in the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy approach and may be able to adapt her techniques to treat individuals with NPD. You may want to call and ask if she has any experience in that area.

DoctorZ :

Im going to keep looking though to give you options

Customer:

Ok, I will call her

DoctorZ :

This therapist has experience in treating personality disorders, and I suspect has experience treating NPD, but it doesnt appear anyone is answering their phones this afternoon

DoctorZ :

And here is a psychologist that has experience treating severe mental health disorders and personality disorders, so I imagine he has seen narcissism and NPD in his practice.

DoctorZ :

It is difficult finding a therapist that will state that they specialize in treating indviduals with NPD because as I said most individuals with NPD do not seek therapy, so most therapists do not advertise that they treat NPD, even though they may have experience with NPD

DoctorZ :

And here is another psychologist that I believe can provide treatment for individuals with NPD

DoctorZ :

My advice is to definitely call ahead and ask questions on if they treat NPD and how they treat that particular disorder. Many psychologists provide a free consultation, so it is possible you may be able to get an in person appointment as well

Customer:

Thank you very much for you help.

DoctorZ :

No problem, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can do to assist you today?

Customer:

No, I think this is my turn to work on it