How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 50 y.o female whose presenting highs and lows spirits

This answer was rated:

I am 50 y.o female whose presenting highs and lows spirits along with fogginess' at least one week out of a month and sheer moment of joyfulness and random bouts of sadness I truly feel like a frozen person whose finally unthawed myself somehow I feel everything now days each and every month it never fails. Help me I 'm flipping my wig here1
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like you might have Bipolar disorder, possibly Type II, although it is not that common in your age group. But because you are having periods of extreme highs and periods of extreme lows, Bipolar disorder should be considered. Extreme highs (feeling good, on top of the world) and extreme lows (no motivation, depression) are signs of Bipolar disorder. Therefore, ruling it out is a good idea.

Your first step should be to find a professional who can provide an accurate diagnosis. If you have been seeing a therapist, you should have had a diagnosis. But if it was not recent, then you may need another evaluation to be sure of what might be going on. If you are diagnosed, there are medications that can stabilize your mood and help you feel better.

Another possibility could be menopause. Feeling extreme mood swings is not uncommon and is due to fluctuating hormonal levels. The best way to tell if you are in menopause is to ask your doctor for a hormone blood level test. They can tell from your results if your symptoms are caused by menopause. If so, your doctor can give you treatment options to help you feel better until you go through menopause.

I hope this has helped you,
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions