Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

How can I get my dog certified as an emotional support or

How can I get my dog certified as an emotional support or therapy dog? I live in San Diego, California and was recently attacked. Thank you for your help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help. You can actually

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

have your dog certified by the San Diego Humane Society i he or she meets certain requrements.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You may have to join as a volunteer and attent P-ATclasses with their coordinator. You will have to go on two P-AT visit without your dog after the training is done.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You will get a Canine Good Citizen certificate for your dog which must be neutered, one year old, and be on a diet of cooked not raw food. Then for a $40 fee you can get the vest. and certificate.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The email address for the details of this information is:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is a great organization. (my daughter, a biologist, works for the chapter in Lexington KY).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your response. That is good to know. What about seeking out a psychiatrist or psychologist or counselor, or my regular doctor? May all of these people certify my dog as an emotional support animal? If I were to go the service dog route, what would be the requirements? Thank you again. So much.

Dear Gregg,

Your doctor can certify your dog an an emotional support animal. In order for a dog to be certified as a service dog it must be trained to help you with your disability (such as picking up something you dropped from your wheelchair) or alert a deaf owner to danger nearby, or guide a blind person across the street. I do not think this is what you can qualify for.. It also takes 18 to 24 months of training for a service dog.

The US Department of Justice states the "Animals whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or to promote emotional well-being are not service animals."

You will need a doctor's letter that you are disabled and that the dog must be present for the sake of your health.

The Department of Transportation will usually allow an ESA on a train, for example, as a courtesy rather than because it is the law.

The ESA route seems to be the best way to go.

I shall keep you in my prayers for safety and protection.

Warm regards,

Elliott