Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am working on a project about uncommon mental health

issues, and I am stuck...
I am working on a project about uncommon mental health issues, and I am stuck in my research. I read an article (and wasn't brilliant enough to bookmark it) - wherein there was a young woman who had a delusional disorder that the Universe/God/SomethingInvisible was giving her signs - and every action she took was based on the signs she would get from movies, television shows, even billboards or car license plates. She was getting therapy for the psychological illness - but for the life of my I can't remember what it was called, and I want to base my project on it.... but after hours of google and bing and medical journals I'm beginning to realize there are a LOT of disorders, but none that sound exactly like this one. I hope that is enough information to help you point me in the right direction. If not - no worries - it was worth a try. I will gladly give you credit in the bibliography should you want it. :)
6/25/2013
Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Give me a moment to carefully read over and consider your question.

Customer:

Great! Thanks!

Ask Eleanor :

Hi, what you are describing is Paranoid Schizophrenia, probably a sub-type.

Ask Eleanor :

Here is an excellent site that discusses this in depth: http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/paranoid-schizophrenia/

Customer:

That is very helpful, thank you. That will at least point me in the direction of searching for the sub-type. Thank you! I wasn't looking in that direction, because I wasn't aware that people with Paranoid Schizophrenia could lead fairly normal lives (aside from the obvious issue of seeing signs everywhere). Interesting. This gives me a lot to go on, and a good lead. One more question within the question - can children have this disorder? Or is it a disorder with a later-in-life onset?

Customer:

And THANK YOU - saved me a lot of time. :)

Ask Eleanor :

You are most welcome. I believe you will read in the information that you must be 18 years old to be diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia, as this is the case with most all mental health disorders. It has been my pleasure to assist you. Good luck with your project and let me know if I can be of any further help, Eleanor

Customer:

Thanks again!

Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist