Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Can a person be hospitalized just because they're thinking

Can a person be hospitalized just because they're thinking about hurting themselves, even if they don't have a specific plan and they are aware of what it would do to their family? I've had a diagnosis of Bipolar for about 14 years now, with lots of ups and downs. Right now I feel like I'm spiraling, but for no good reason. I've started having feelings like I'd like to hurt myself. I don't have a plan, and I keep reminding myself of what it would do to my family (my sis-in-law took her own live two years ago), even though I'm starting to think they'd be better off without me. I'm afraid to tell my doc, because I don't want to go to the hospital, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe that's where I belong. Problem is, I will lose my job if I'm gone for more than four days (I work part-time for a very small company), and I really need the money.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You cannot be hospitalized for these mere thoughts. You do not have a plan nor are you in imminent danger. You also understand the impact that suicide would have on your loved ones, and you are not currently in harm or danger.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You should talk to your doctor who is hopefully a psychiatrist.

Customer:

okay, good. I didn't want to end up in the hospital, so I was afraid to admit this to my doc. I just wish I could make the thoughts go away.

Customer:

Yes, he is a psychiatrist.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He may have to adjust your meds.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Perhaps you have other stressors in your life that are making things worse (relationship, illness, finances, job stress).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If so, you may have to deal with them with some talk therapy.

Customer:

Job stress and finances, certainly. I've had those most of my life, and they haven't had this type of effect on me before. I just feel like I'm spiraling into the pit all of a sudden.

Customer:

So, yeah, maybe there's stuff I don't even realize.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you have any specific issues that are troubling you more than others?

Customer:

I just feel like it's all so pointless sometimes. I don't have a lot of friends (I've burned out a lot of them, and I have trouble making new ones), and that's only making things worse.

Customer:

So I guess I probably do need to do some talking.

Customer:

Thank you for talking to me, you have helped put my mind at ease a little. I will follow up with my doctor, and hopefully we'll get this straightened out.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers. You seem to be such a nice person and should have (and need) more friends. The good ones will stick with you when times get tough.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You will get past this episode, especially if you are proactive about it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer:

Thank you

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are very welcome :)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

May God bless and protect you and your family.