RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I am experiencing symptoms of depression. Each "test" I take

I am experiencing symptoms of depression. Each "test" I take puts me in the severe depression category. I am going to a family MD tomorrow. What do I need to tell him to get him to understand? If I am truly severe, will natural remedies work such as magnesium, Valerian root and so forth? Do I have to have a benzo or SSRI?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  RealSupport replied 4 years ago.
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your situation. Depression is a serious mental health disorder thus requires adequate treatment, which means work on yourself with necessary psychological support to rehabilitate from it. Psychiatric drugs would not eliminate nor heal your depression, but mostly numb some symptoms, what could be useful specially when people feel very overwhelmed by them and need some temporary relief, allowing them to start their rehabilitation process, which again is mostly about psychoemotional work on themselves with profgessional and family support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Natural remedies could help depending on how sensitive your body-nervous system happens to be to this substances, but they would not heal you nor create this rehabilitation process you need to work on with adequate support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

In case you want to try psychiatric drugs, please look for a competent psychiatrist instead of getting these drugs from a family doctor, since they are not experts prescribing them, what would not help you, specially because of how powerful and risky these drugs happen to be. They do impact a person's mental health in very different ways, have multiple side effects as you already know from experience, and psychiatrists actually experiment with you until they find the drug that seems to have the best effects for you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please look for a professional psychotherapist to assess you, from there you would get an accurate diagnosis and an initial treatment plan. From it your psychotherapy would be based, which should ideally include individual, family and group therapy as necessary.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hope it does make sense. Please feel free to contact me for any further support.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is there now. Must have been a computer glitch. So basically, I will have to actually take meds in order to start a process of recovery Natural methods will probably not be strong enough

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I appreciate it. Since I go tomorrow, should I just tell the doctor what I am feeling or print out a test that I have taken (last question)
As I explained before, psychiatric drugs could help to bring some relief when the person feels unable to cope or undergoing serious crisis, but not as a way to treat depression, since these drugs would not change what causes and fuels depression but mostly numb some symptoms and you with them. it is through psychotherapy and work on yourself and daily life that you would be able to rehabilitate from depression and promote the quality of life and well-being you need and deserve. This is something no drug could offer.
With your family doctor, any physician or mental health specialist, you need to be totally honest and open in order to get the support you need and for them to be effective assisting you.
You could print the test results, but your family doctor would have limited knowledge about it. Much better to ask for referral for psychological evaluation and psychotherapy as soon as possible.