Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am adjusting to the fact that my son has bipolar 1

disorder and did have a...
I am adjusting to the fact that my son has bipolar 1 disorder and did have a manic attack with psychosis. Now that he is on Seroquel I understand that he will still have episodes of depression and mania but hopefully it will remain as hypomania without a psychotic episode. He is going to do everything he can to try and control this disorder. What I would like to know and a percentage would be helpful if possible is to know how good the chances are that a manic episode would remain as hypomania without the psychosis. It concerns me since he did drive when he had the first episode. He later realized that he wasn't okay and took a cab to the hospital but it is a great worry for me.
6/23/2013
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I understand how stressful your son's illness has been for you and you are adjusting to that fact, with a great deal of concern and anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

His psychiatric team is helping him and hopefully his medication will keep him mania in check.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Hypomania and mania are basically the same symptoms. Some say that a hypomanic episode is like a MANIC EPISODE writ small. A hypomanic episode is usually euphoric without the driven quality of a manic episode. Sometimes the hypomania will show more as irritability but now necessarily.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The practitioner who is treating or diagnosing will make a judgement call as to whether it is manic or hypomanic depending on the depth of impairment. This is a subjective call.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Most people with bipolar disorder drive cars and there is no laws against it. A manic person may drive recklessly or show other reckless behavior in spending, gambling, drug-taking, or promiscuity.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Psychosis is not the usually course of bipolar disorder, but psychotic breaks can occur not only only with BPAD (bipolar affective disorder) but with Major Depression, extreme anxiety, or other stressful situations. They are usually in the form of hallucinations but THEY ARE NOT PSYCHOSIS. (Not Schizophrenia or Delusional Disorder).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Since he is taking an antipsychotic medication, his mania will be reduced or may not even appear.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He must be encouraged that he is healing and can resume his life and career, etc.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He may never have any more psychotic breaks again if he stays under treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I understand how deeply concerned you are for him. It is best if he does not see your depth of worry as it will only be counter-therapeutic for him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Please try to understand that he can and will leave a relatively or completely normal life.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

live a relatively or completely normal life.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you peace of mind for yourself, and healing for your son.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott

Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist