Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hello,I take .5 mg lorazepam daily. Is it safe to drink

Hello, I take .5 mg lorazepam daily. Is it safe to drink alchohol when taking Lorazepam?  I have been on this medicaton for one year, and occastionally need to take 1.0 mg to sleep.  But he .5mg is what I take daily.  Is it safe to drink at all with this medication?  Or is it best to avoid alcohol completely?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

It is not dangerous to mix the two, at least not directly dangerous. However. the mixture can increase nervous system side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty concentrating, and impairment in thinking and judgment. It can also make it dangerous to operate a motor vehicles or other heavy equipment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is best to use your discretion. The risk is moderate but it is not recommended.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your answer. I have looked on the internet, as well, and I have read that Lorazepam and Alcohol can impair breathing, and affect heartbeat. Is this also a risk, or is this only occurring in much higher doses?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.