Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Sometimes I can pay attention very well. I can complete task

without errors and their are...
Sometimes I can pay attention very well. I can complete task without errors and their are days I have a great diffculty with my attention making errrors. Completed task blurting durning conversation. I don't understand how my brain can shift differtly day to day.
6/15/2013
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Our brains can shift from day to day, and sometimes from moment to moment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If sees that there are a couple of possible things going on with you and you need to have an assessment to know what is going on.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You could have adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) which can cause you to fail to pay close attention and are easily distracted, or the hyperactive/impulsive type where you appear driven or on he go and talks excessively, or the impulsive type, where you interrupt or intrude on others, or more likely a combination or "combined type", as it is called.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

On the other hand, you could have bipolar disorder which can also make you inattentive and can cause rapid speech and racing thoughts.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Either way, you would do yourself well to have yourself professionally diagnosed to determine what is going on, and to make sure that you do not have anything else physically wrong that are causing these symptoms.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

My recommendation is that you get a professional assessment, face-to-face, person to person, with a mental health professional, perhaps at a community mental health center where you can have a longer interview with a therapist and then, if needed, any necessary medications can be obtained from the resident psychiatrist who can prescribe and dispense medications if needed.

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

I am very quite person I am easy going but sometimes I can't blow a fuse.

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

My parents worry about me sometimes

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What do you mean blow a fuse?

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

I start yelling and screamming hitting my parents.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you ever injure yourself, by cutting or burning, or do you have an eating disorder?

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

no I am skinny but, I could lose a few pounds. I never injury myself

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Were you a bit behind socially with your peers?

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

yes I have trouble making friends. I have friends people liike me but I don't hang with people my own age just family.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you have trouble making eye contact with people?

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

no

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Were you ever abandoned when young, or abused or neglected, or did you ever witness anything horrific?

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

no

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you engage in reckless behavior (spending, driving, sex, gambling, etc.)?

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

no

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am just checking.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that you most likely have ADHD and I recommend that you get assessed for this, and if you do get the necessary treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

ADHD can cause your attention and impulsivity problems and your rages of anger, and would slow down your social interactions with others.

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

Will my parents haft fill out paperwork about my behavior or the dr.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How old are you?

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

24

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are an adult and you are perfectly capable of filling out the information yourself. In fact the federal HIPAA law would prohibit the doctor from discussing this case with them without your written permission.

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

I was think about going clincal psycolgist ofice specialize in adhd testing most places have a computer test or will they just talk to me

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would not accept a computer test as an assessment. I would talk to a real doctor or psychologist. They may want to also administer a test to "cover" themselves, but if this is their area of expertise they should have no problem in making the assessment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you needed medication, however, a psychiatrist or other MD would have to write you a prescription.]

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would prefer the longer interview rather than the shorter psychiatric one, however.

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This can be managed quite well, AND you can grow out of this and learn to control your impulses and focus your attention.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I hope that I have been helpful to you.

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

so quite people can have adhd

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Absolutely. They can be quiet and shy, and some may be more so because the inability to keep on focus can allow them to be bullied and so they can remain quiet.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You will overcome this. You are obviously very intelligent and sensitive and that will carry you through to success.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success and shall keep in my prayers.

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

okay what is a good drug for my adhd

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You will need an assessment first, but something such as Strattera or Concerta might be recommended. That will be up to the doctor.

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-pr8yscir- :

Thanks for the help I hope you have a good day.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You too. May God bless and heal you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist