How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ryan LCSW Your Own Question
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ryan LCSW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to help my son find someone to provide therapy

This answer was rated:

I am trying to help my son find someone to provide therapy and support as part of the treatment plan for dealing with bipolar disorder. What is the differance between a psychologist and a pscychotherapist and which one would be best suited for this purpose?
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I have over 10 years of experience working in mental health.

A psychologist and a psychotherapist perform very similar functions and would both be qualified to help your son. A psychologist would have a degree specifically in psychology, where a psychotherapist may have a degree in something similar such as clinical social work. Both would be qualified to provide counseling for your son. The biggest thing you want to look for in selecting a therapist for your son would be to find someone who has experience working with people who are bipolar. If your son is a child or teenager, it would also be important that this therapist has experience working with youth. I would highly recommend talking to a few psychologists or psychotherapist and ask them a few questions about how they would treat your son. That way you can get a sense of who would be the best fit for him. If you need help finding a therapist, there is a great website where you can enter your zip code, insurance information, and find your best local options. I definitely wish you the best with all of this and if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Ryan LCSW and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you