How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ryan LCSW Your Own Question
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ryan LCSW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a depression and anxiety disorder. I have been taking

This answer was rated:

I have a depression and anxiety disorder. I have been taking antidepressants and benodiazepams for the past couple of years but my life seems to have gotten worse, not better. I think I need help getting off these medications as I feel the cure has become worse than the disease. How can I get off these medications? Who can help me? Who do I contact? Thank you. KMB

Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I have over 10 years of experience working in mental health.

The best person to help you get off of these medications while minimizing the side effects would be a Psychiatrist because they have the medical and mental health background to help you to reduce the dosages in the most appropriate way for you. I would be happy to provide a link to some local psychiatrists. Would that would be helpful to you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I have a psychiatrist but he just keeps giving me more medications for every ailment I have. I was wondering if a holistic health professional or someone like that could help me reduce my medications. Or perhaps I need a second opinion from a psychiatrist?

Unless the holistic health professional has a proper medical background then it would not be the most advisable person to help you get off of these medications. Not all psychiatrists believe that more medication is always the answer, so a second opinion may be a big help. You may also want to get an opinion from a psychologist or licensed therapist who may have more experience with how these medications affect people emotionally and they can also make some recommendations to a psychiatrist. If you decide that you don't want to continue with the medications no matter what, you can also interview a few different psychiatrists and see who is willing to work with you with the goal of getting off of the medications. The most important thing is trying to find someone who shares your view and uses medication as more of a last resort rather than being very liberal in prescribing them. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Ryan LCSW and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you