How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5809
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I used to work with a female that I would say has a lot of

This answer was rated:

I used to work with a female that I would say has a lot of traits of a sociopath or psychopath. She was always causing problems and when I decided I didn't want anything more to do with her she flipped out calling me all kinds of names. She was furious. I have retired since then but she is now cyberstalking me but in a way that I know it's her but nobody else would so I can't report her. It's hard to just ignore her as I'm on a dating site and she makes up profiles pretending to be someone interested in me then makes a rude comment and immediately deletes the profile. She seems to know every site I go to and I have found a keylogger on my home computer a couple of times. How do I handle a person like this?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It can be very frightening to deal with a stalker especially since their behavior seems out of control. It is difficult to relax and be able to be yourself if someone is always harassing you and watching what you do.

To deal with a cyberstalker, you may want to first see if there is any legal means you have of dealing with her. There may not be much, but it is worth trying just in case. And the police may have other suggestions for you. Even if they only take a report, it helps.

Other steps you can take are:

Block her in any way possible. Her email and name or any other identifying information. Do this on any site you are able to. And if you need to, block all but people you know. That way, she cannot get in no matter what. The less she can find you on line, the less information she has to use to find you on other sites.

Do not contact her in any way- through the phone, email or otherwise. She is looking for a reaction from you and when she gets one, she knows she is being effective in upsetting you.

If you are using dating sites, contact them to see how they can help you protect yourself from her finding you.

Change your passwords frequently and make them combinations of letters and numbers. Contact your bank and other businesses you deal with on line to let them know about your situation and ask for assistance in protecting your accounts.

Use fake names and other information when possible.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've tried ignoring her for a long time but she just keeps on and it's really taking a toll on me. What's worse, I was seeing a psychiatrist and she didn't even believe me. She said no one would go to that great of length to get to me. I've already contacted police and they say there's no way I can prove it's her so there's nothing I can do. I've already contacted the dating sites and all they do is delete the profile but then I'm sure she can make up new accts. using different email addresses. She is obviously mentally ill so that's why I wrote you the question.

Yes, if she is stalking you then she could have a mental illness. It is hard to tell what she might have without talking to her, but personality disorders and sociopathic behavior often fits, just as you mentioned. But unless she sees that she needs help, it is unlikely that she will get any.

I'm sorry that your psychiatrist did not believe you. You may want to try a new therapist if this situation continues. You need someone who will support you and help you cope with the stress.

The best you can do at this point is to keep gathering evidence (copy what she does if possible, keep records) and keep trying to get the police and your doctor to believe you. If you show them evidence, it is hard to deny what is going on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK. Thank you.

You're welcome. I'm sorry this is happening to you. Hang in there and keep trying. Someone is bound to pay attention and help you.


May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you