How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5820
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are in a situation with our 26 yr old son. we think he's

Customer Question

we are in a situation with our 26 yr old son. we think he's bipolar. he has had mental health issues for 10 yrs now. in our state a 16 year old is considered an adult and must commit himself. he did and since then his condition has landed him in house arrest and 2 times in state jail. he was released 4 yrs ago this month and has done well except for the past 4months. we can see he's getting sick again. my question is what can we do to not just help him but ourselves as well.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
If your son is willing, one of the first steps to take is to be sure what your son is dealing with. He needs to have a diagnosis so you know how to respond to his situation. If he has not gotten a solid diagnosis, then see if he is willing to go to a therapist or psychiatrist for an evaluation. The therapist will ask about your son's symptoms and his background so they can provide a diagnosis and treatment options. To find a therapist, your son can talk to his doctor about a referral. Or he can search on line at He can also call his local United Way for a list of community mental health agencies in his area for low cost/no cost evaluations and treatment.
If your son is Bipolar, then medication is the recommended treatment. Bipolar is a chemical imbalance in the brain so medications can be very effective in helping him regulate his symptoms. And therapy can help him manage as well.
You may also want to contact your local ER to find out the procedures for a 302 commitment. Although your son can admit himself if he needs help, people who have Bipolar sometimes experience trouble knowing that they are hurting themselves with their behavior. So knowing what action you can take if the need arises can help.
Once you know his diagnosis, you can learn more about it. If he has Bipolar, here are some resources to help: is_treatment.htm
Also, your son can consider support groups either on line or in person. Talking to others who have the same symptoms can help him feel less alone and provide much needed support. You can also find support through NAMI which not only provides information, but groups and resources as well. The more support you have, the easier it will be to be there for your son.
I hope this has helped you,
May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!