RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I have spoken to you before about my 24 year old son Damian.

Hi, I have spoken to you before about my 24 year old son Damian. He has since been diagnosed with Pyrrole disorder and acute Undermethylation which we now know is the cause of his depressive symptoms. Has anyone there heard of theses conditions? I am so frustrated that he can't go to see his normal doctor about this when he needs to as it takes so long to get an appointment and by that time the crisis has passed. Damian suffers so much anxiety still that he can't sleep and so the cycle continues. Do you have any online support groups who suffer this as I feel he needs to know others suffer it too. He said to me tonight when he was going through this bad patch that 'nobody speaks the same language'. I hate to feel he is alone in this disorder. Anne Murray
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am sorry to know how your son's situation has not improved and that necessary professional support is still delayed.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am a little confused since you stated that his regular doctor has not seen him yet, but you "now know the cause of his depression" is this two other disorders. I imagine that you got another medical doctors to assess him and after complete testing they diagnosed both of these disorders, right? But how could these other doctors be sure these are the cause of the diverse mental health problems and the sleep deprivation?

I do truly believe most times genetics are at the core of most disorders, and that diet and life style do play a key role in our mental health too. What I know about these disorders is that once the patient receives adequate nutritional treatment, after a few weeks symptoms would disappear, the same that would arise again if treatment gets interrupted, but if the patient completes treatment, after 4 - 6 months, complete rehabilitation could become a reality. Has he got adequate treatment for these disorders and shown significant improvement, and that's what has led these doctors and you to be this sure his depression was caused by them? Your words seems to show your son continues to suffer, not only of depression, but of the sleep deprivation, and I assume the other core disorders and issues you reported before still undermine his mood, functioning and life, right?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I totally support complete official evaluation and consistent treatment of these or any other physical disorders your son may suffer deteriorating his physical and mental health. Only you know how frustrating it is to wait without getting necessary support, but there is no other option unless you could afford private treatment. I hope the doctors who diagnosed him with these other disorders could provide adequate treatment.

During the very process of treatment and once they get completed, you would know for sure if they were the cause of your son's multiple mental disorders. I truly hope this happen to be the case. In the mean time, please do not disregard the most important source of support your son's need in my opinion, which is consistent and sound Psychotherapeutic support, just as explained during previous responses.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It would be terrific if with adequate nutrient therapy including vitamin B-6, C, zinc, and nay other necessary, your son get's totally fine. In the past when you initially contacted me, he was still not receiving vitamin treatment, but now I see he has already started receiving this support, but still no showing significant improvement. This is why I strongly suggest you to support him getting the best psychological support you could get for him to work on his core serious issues and rehabilitation process. I do believe a good diet is essential for good mental health, but I also believe that without adequate psychological support, regardless of how good diet, medications and other types of external support a person may get, mental and emotional health, an integral well-being could not be developed.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I hope this make sense. Here is a link for s support group for one of the disorders you mention. Hope it helps. http://pyroluriasupport.com/forum/

Customer:

Hi Rafael, nice that you are the one answering again. Thank you for all that information. The support site will be wonderful for Damian. I can't wait to read what others have said.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. I truly hope things get clearer soon and your son gets the best possible and necessary support.

Customer:

Sorry Rafael, I clicked the button before I'd finished.......Yes, Damian has had proper assessment of his condition as the new doctor has all his information from the previous doctor. His new doctor put him onto a course of vitamins according to Dr. William Walsh's Bio Balance nutrient program. He had been on that for about 7 months without much change. So when we knew Dr. Walsh was coming to Australia we booked him in to see him personally. He refined Damian's vitamin prescription to be much stronger as he thought Damian's Undermethylation was very high. So that has only been about a month really and that is not enough time I know to see if it works. Dr. Walsh said give it about 3 months at least to see if it has any effect. Also, Damian has been to America in the last 3 weeks and I know his sleep and chemical balances were affected by the time changes. On reading what you say I too believe that Damian needs a psychotherapist but he thought the vitamins would be enough. He is a stubborn fellow and I think is looking for a 'quick fix' in these vitamins. I will chat to him today and try to find a suitable psychologist.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very glad to know you were able to get a new doctor and al his clinical history from previous one, that these treatments have been implemented as planned. Now you know one is not the core cause of his disorders, and soon would know if the other one plays a core role or not, either way, he would have a much better nutritional and biochemical balance, and as soon as he keeps that, it would help, but psychotherapeutic support continues to seem to be the core course of action he should follow, and it is not a quick fix, but a long-life term commitment.

Customer:

Thank you once again Rafael. My challenge is my very stubborn son!

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You bet it is, and he needs to take full responsibility for his own rehabilitation process and life, unless he does it, he would not significantly make any real improvement, and your role should be focused on providing exclusively healthy and adequate support, and never holding accountability for anything that depends on him. If he needs to afford consequences from self-neglect or lack of maturity, then let that be, since there would be no other effective way for him to learn to become more assertive and responsible, so to take good care of his health needs and life.