Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Again abt Alcohol.I used to drink a lot before.So when at

Again abt Alcohol.I used to drink a lot before.So when at least meet my close friend,I feel to dink.
May this happen once in a month.What should I do?
Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr Vikas :

Hello, I have gone through your previous questions and if I got it correct, you are currently taking Lithium and Seroquel.?

Dr Vikas :

See, I can understand that being an alcoholic earlier you occasionally experience urge to drink alcohol specially when you are with your friends but also appreciate it that you are trying to control that urge. Consumption of alcohol is not recommended for patients suffering from Bipolar disorder as alcohol can destabilize the mood further and may precipitate depressive or manic episode.

Dr Vikas :

Also alcohol can interact with the medicines like Lithium, Seroquel and other mood stabilizers and can produce harmful effect to the body.

Dr Vikas :

I do have many patients with case history similar to yours and when they ask me what to do in such situation"So when at least meet my close friend,I feel to dink.", my reply to them is that they have to avoid alcohol at any cost. Instead of alcohol they can consider the option of taking either cold drink or some juices while their friends are consuming alcohol. You can also try this, as this will cause no harm to the body and will also allow you to sit with your friends and enjoy their company.

Dr Vikas :

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any query or doubt in your mind.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas