Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I tried to wean myself off of lexapro gradually over the

I tried to wean myself off of lexapro gradually over the last few weeks -- by taking 15,10 and then 5mg each for five days. I have been taking nothing since about a week, but as of a few days ago, I feel terrible. Very down and anxious, very negative. I started taking the usual 20mg today again, but is there anything I can take in the meantime that is fast acting that can help me feel calmer? I have some important work events beginning tomorrow morning and I am actually worried that my general outlook will spoil these important events. I can't get everything here in Myanmar -- mostly they have older medications, so if you could recommend a few things and dosage until the lexapro kicks back in I would be very grateful. Thank you.
Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr Vikas :

It is always better to start with the low dose of Lexapro once you have stopped it completely. For example, a patient can restart with 5 or 10mg and gradually increase the dose within a gap of 5-7 days.

Dr Vikas :

High dose of Lexapro like 20 mg may initially worsen the anxiety part a bit although it is not certain that it will happen.

Dr Vikas :

in the mean while, you can ask any local doctor to prescribe you a low dose of benzodiazepine like .25 or .5 mg of Clonazepam or .25 or .5 mg of Alprazolam.

Customer:

ok. Thank you I will do that though I did take 20 mg several hours ago. Is there something that I can do until it takes effect as I had understood that it take a couple weeks for that to happen

Customer:

thanks, ***** ***** this. the internet is very slow here

Dr Vikas :

Clonazepam or Alprazolam will control your anxiety effectively and can calm you.

Dr Vikas :

it can also control the anxiety which sometimes is worsen by starting Lexapro initially.

Dr Vikas :

your local GP can easily prescribe you either clonazepam or alprazolam.

Dr Vikas :

in addition to these medicines, you can also try certain relaxation techniques which can help in calming you.

Dr Vikas :

like deep muscle relaxation technique or deep breathing exercises.

Customer:

ok thanks again.

Dr Vikas :

most welcome. Don't worry, alprazolam or clonazepam can help you a lot in your current symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?

Customer:

since I have already started taking 20 mg of lexapro should I just continue at that dosage or revert to a more gradual re-introduction as you mentioned before

Dr Vikas :

well, if you are able to tolerate it, it can be tried, otherwise a good idea could be to start with 10 mg per day.

Customer:

ok thanks. Till next time!