Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
59700337

I need to find an expert to discuss my sons who is 44 and

I need to find an expert to discuss my sons who is 44 and divorced but needs to have more time with his son who is 13. No visitations with me and I am 73 and not happy about not seeing him more often, even though his mom has relatives in my home town, she never brings him by to say hi.
So, Now she is continueing to share him with his own father in the summer for two weeks, and one week in Christmas. He does not want to take her to court. I am in the age where he is probably going to be my only grandchld. What can I do or say to his mom that you might suggest. She knows it is very disruptive to do this disagreeable thing. She lives in Florida near her parents who no doubt are part of her thinking. My son did live down there, but had no ability to exchange time with her without taking her to court and that is so disagreeable.
I am going to try and lay it on with conversations via phone or email. I am not going to ber able to afford travel soon to California and Florida to visit when my son visits were the schedule to be 4expected by him. Now,l the summer is approaching and she refuses with out reason to permit him to travel to California where ***** *****ves and has for 8 years.
I just want to be of help to John and his son. What should I do or say to his ex wife that will be firm and show dismay and heartache and yet firm and logicla.
pennyrayasMFT :

Hello there how are you?

pennyrayasMFT :

I believe that you need to contact an attorney

pennyrayasMFT :

because grandparents have visitation rights

pennyrayasMFT :

In California grandparents have visitation rights

pennyrayasMFT :

I am not sure about Florida

pennyrayasMFT :

Do you think calling your grandchilds mother that she would respond?

pennyrayasMFT :

It looks that you are not online.

Customer:

I am in Ohio. An attorney would discuss it with me or John. I am not sure what you mean, by in California grandparents have visitation rights.

pennyrayasMFT :

I live in California and my husband is an attorney. My husband tells me that in California grandparents have visitation rights

pennyrayasMFT :

If your son is not willing to talk to an attorney you could to see if you have any rights as a grandparent

pennyrayasMFT :

I understand that you will try to talk to your ex daughter in law first

pennyrayasMFT :

just in case she is not willing to have you see your grandchild

pennyrayasMFT :

you may have rights as a grandparent

Customer:

I will check about Ohio tomarrow. The point is we have not any rights to plan or visit, without the mothers okay. That presents us with violation rights, ???? Yes, or no. No plan to visit, no permission for grandson to travel to visit, even when it is paid for by us. We are very very proud of him (grandson) and this kind of inconsistancy has gpme pm alaways. :Last year was fine, he visited Caliofornia and enjoyed staying some with my othr son and his wife. He had a ball. How do you go to court without upsetting the child may I ask. I hope to discuss this with you, when you are online. I really don't want to beg my son's exwife. OH, you are saying if she does not respond to my having a vist at Christmas in Florida. But, what my son is currently being made to wait for her to give him time in California for two weeks this summer. I am not sure, but maybe I should plan to go, just to make a grandparent right visitation a issue.

Customer:

So, do I have a valid legal issue as a grandparent from Ohio, who wan ts to visit in California with grandson. Or, not.

I am sorry I am having trouble with the chat. It does not seam to be working. I am sorry that your ex daughter in law is not willing to negotiate visitation with you and your son. Maybe your son can negotiate more time with your grandchild and bring your grandchild to you. I understand you can't travel.
I show your answer to you. I think there is a way to go to court about visitation rights without upsetting the child. Just tell all other adults that this visitation issues is between adults and that you should not involve the child. Yes you can go to your son's hearing for visitations rights and his attorney can ask for visitation rights. Your son can ask for more visitation and also ask for visitation with you. Your or your son can ask the court for visitation. I hope your ex daughter in law can agree for your grandson to visit you. How old is your grandson? Are you in communication with him? Can he tell his mother that he wants to visit you?