Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My boyfriend and I have been under a lot of stress lately. I

Customer Question
am a university student and...
My boyfriend and I have been under a lot of stress lately. I am a university student and struggling to save money and my boyfriend is miserable in his job but can't seem to find a new one. Yesterday he decided he wants to go back to school which is great but it is stressing me out because I already owe a lot of money in student debt. I'm trying to be supportive and show my support but yesterday he got mad at me when I expressed by feeling of stress. Now today it just feel like i've hit a wall with stress and my relationship. i just feel like giving up and I feel like I can't cope. This has been happening quite often and i feel can't control my negative emotions anymore. One day I will be happy as can be an content and then something small will happen next I feel miserable for a week? I don't understand it and I feel like i'm stuck. I tried to get councelling but its too expensive and I just don't know what to do anymore.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mental Health
5/24/2013
Mental Health Professional: Dr. L, Psychologist replied 4 years ago
Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

I can understand how stressed you might feel with all this financial stress and the rollercoaster of emotions that you have been experiencing. From what you are describing, it sounds like you might be experiencing depression. It also seems that your ability to cope with the normal ups and downs of life is not working like it used to. Counseling is a good way to get this under control. Yes...it can be expensive...does your university have a counseling center for students? Often these are no cost...or very low cost. Perhaps you could check this out.

Dr. L :

As an alternate to counseling..I would like to suggest that you read Dr. David Burns book "Feeling Good"...this is a wonderful book on emotions and I believe that you will find it beneficial.

Dr. L :

Have you noticed if you feel more vulnerable...more sensitive...just before your menstrual period? This is often the case because the level of estrogen in your system drops. Estrogen has a role in your emotional balance. Here is a link to an article that might be helpful:

Dr. L :

http://women.webmd.com/guide/estrogen-and-womens-emotions

Dr. L :

I see that you are offline.When you come online we can chat.

Dr. L :

Thanks.

Dr. L
Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist