How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5823
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is having serious emotional issues witch I don't

This answer was rated:

My son is having serious emotional issues witch I don't understand.The problems started after a failed marriage witch took place 3 years ago.He can't keep a relationship going with a women,perhaps because he is always late and unreliable.He recently broke down in tears after his latest failed relationship. His behavior seems strange, he works incredibly hard at his job, an electronics engineer. But spends most of his off time sleeping. He often stays up all night and sleeps till two or three in the afternoon. I worry about him becoming suicidal. What can I do?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
It sounds like your son may either be grieving or he is depressed. The symptoms you describe seem to fit either one. And the failed marriage sounds like the cause.
He may be failing at his current relationships because he is still not over the divorce. It can take time to work through a divorce and some people even become stuck in the recovery, staying depressed or angry for a long time. When that happens, the person needs to talk to a professional.
If you can, try to see if your son is willing to see his own doctor. Sometimes a person will talk to their doctor when they refuse to talk to a therapist or psychiatrist. If he is willing to see his doctor, call ahead before his appointment to let the doctor know what is going on. He or she may not be able to share anything with you, but you can certainly tell them what you are witnessing with your son and they can address it with him.
You can also enlist the help of friends or other family members. Sometimes a person will listen to someone from outside of their immediate family because they are not so easy to dismiss.
Encourage your son to see a therapist. If possible, offer to help if he seems overwhelmed by the thought of finding someone to talk to. It is not unusual for someone who is depressed to have trouble being motivated to do anything to help themselves. So they more you can be there for him, the better.
You can also learn more about grief and depression so you can help your son. Here are some resources to help:
Your concern about suicide is valid. Many people who feel depressed will have some thoughts about hurting themselves. However, most of the time, these are only thoughts. You do want to stay close to your son and see if he starts to show signs of wanting to hurt himself. Talking about not wanting to live, giving things away or struggling to even care for himself might be signs to look for. If you feel your son is in trouble, encourage him to go to your local ER for an evaluation. If he won't go, call your ER for instructions on how to file a 302, which will force your son to get an evaluation. It is not pleasant to do, but it is more important your son is safe.
I hope this has helped you,
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you we have talked to him about professional help and he has agreed. Now its a matter of getting him to follow throug
You are welcome! If he has agreed to professional help, that is an excellent sign! With some support, he should be feeling better soon.
May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!