How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealSupport Your Own Question
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 3191
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
RealSupport is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 7 year old son diagnosed with PTSD is hearing his fathers

This answer was rated:

My 7 year old son diagnosed with PTSD is hearing his fathers voice (who abused him) tell him to do things. He is also seeing ghosts.
He was inpatient for 7 days after having violent outbursts of rage. He is currently on seroquel while we try to continue with more aggressive therapy. Is this normal?
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).
Rafael M.T.Therapist : I am very sorry to know about your son's mental health and behavioral disorders, impacting his life this powerfully.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : It's very sad but abuse can be this traumatic. At the same time psychiatric medications are very powerful and dangerous drugs, specially when used with children. The drugs he has been prescribed use not to be use with children younger than 13 years of age, and in some case no younger than 10 years of age. Your child is very young, and using this antipsychotic drug, with all the serious life threatening side effects it has is very concerning.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : PTSD is the result of an overwhelming psyche and body feeling unable to cope with intense painful feelings and emotions, which literally leave the person in shock. If the trauma comes from chronic abuse, instead of isolated episodes of violence, then the impact uses to be much deep and serious too. You are very right getting all the psychotherapeutic - behavioral support possible for him to rehabilitate from this traumas, but please, do look for further competent and ethical professional opinions about the adequate approach to support your child, specially because of the dangers and serious disorders this drug creates in people, even more if it is a child this young who is taking them.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : There is no drug with the power to cure PTSD. Seroquel mostly numbs the person, but it does not change anything related to the trauma and its impact in the victim. This drug's official use is for psychosis and bipolar, but has been used in the past few years to treat from depression to anxiety disorders and ADHD, as many other drugs, because of multiple wrong reasons.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : What your child needs the most is a supportive and healthy "support system" social network and intensive psychotherapeutic treatment, including individual, group and family therapy. It's going to take time and big effort for him to rehabilitate, but it is possible and absolutely worthy. Please do get informed about all the side effects and medical, physical and mental health issues this and other similar drugs create in adults, for you to know what is truly sound support for your child to receive at that level.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Does it make sense?
Customer: The agency I want to get him into tells me they can't even assess him until he is no longer diagnosed as psychotic. I don't understand that. His current therapist is telling me she can't treat him because she feels that his PTSD is so complex. I am looking now to start over with someone else and am currently looking.
Customer: In order to get him off the meds (which I was told would be temporary) I need to get a good psychiatrist that will work hand in hand with the psychotherapist. How can I find someone like that? Would it be better to go to a private practice or one that has psychiatrist and therapists working in the same practice?
Customer: The place he currently is in with his current therapist has psychiatrist but I can never seem to get an appt. I want my son to get the best treatment possible. Where can I go online to look?
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Thank you for replying. This is very frustrating without doubt.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : it doesn't make any sense for mental health clinic staff to state that they cannot assess him "until he is no longer diagnosed as psychotic", that's unacceptable. A sound and complete mental assessment should happen as soon as possible, and it must include current active symptoms, past episodes and all history and data available from parents or care takers. I am afraid they are not competent enough and/or just do not want to provide support your child needs.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Please look for a professional child psychotherapist with expertise and experience in abuse, trauma and psychotic disorders. Yes, you are right, the ideal place would be a clinic offering both core services, namely, psychotherapeutic support and psychiatric assistance. These professionals must be professionals specialized in treating children. If you want to get the best support, then please look for private mental health clinics where you could find competent professionals offering the quality of support your child requires.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : offers professional directories for both, psychiatrists and psychotherapists, you could review profiles and make phone calls in order to find out who do offer these services.
Customer: He had a psych eval in november of last year. That is when he was diagnosed with PTSD. Now his therapist wants to put me with a community services board with the city. Ok. Thank you very much for your advice.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : You can also contact the county mental health department and ask for referrals to specialized mental health clinics for children
Rafael M.T.Therapist : You're very welcome.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : I truly hope you find the support you need and deserve.
RealSupport and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you