Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Dear Dr. Keane, I have been thinking about the food for

Dear Dr. Keane, I have...

Dear Dr. Keane, I have been thinking about the food for thought that you have given me. Your first point about how we all have to take a leap at some time. Now, trying to go for the happy-medium and trying not to overthink it my instincts say that everyone does take leaps at some time otherwise lives wouldn’t ever move on and I guess everyone would always be stuck in the same place as they were when they first came to the world, also new friendships and acquaintances would never be formed without people making a leap and taking a risk….. I think I see where you are coming from when you say that anxiety is a part of life but it's the level of anxiety, so to the next food for thought from you: You asked me “holding back for what?” I don’t know that I am holding back for anything specifically. I do however think I may have said about holding back because of an element of fear, although I am slowly trying to take risks.

5/14/2013
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Dr.Keane :

Yes you are taking risks, and it is fear of ???( fill in the blank) that makes you anxious and it probably isn't one specific fear. It's managing the anxiety and learning not to give in or overthink things. You have done well and will continue to do well, you have the tools. Those who are, by nature, anxious have to work harder to keep it at bay.

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist