Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Are lorazepam and lamyltical habit forming drugs and do they

Are lorazepam and lamyltical habit forming drugs and do they previent weight loss, exercise 5 days a week east once 1 day plus snacks

over past 20 years I have tried Paxil; Celexisl and lamictal for 1 year all cause morning nausea

need for overreacting anger management   when stressed between 8-5

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you.

Dr Vikas :

Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine and is a habit forming drug because it can cause dependence and tolerance to its effect when taken daily for more than few weeks.

Dr Vikas :

Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is not a habit forming drug.

Dr Vikas :

Lorazepam has not effect on weight and Lamotrigine usually does not cause weight gain.

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Dr Vikas :

?

Dr Vikas :

are you able to see my replies?

Dr Vikas :

will wait for your reply so that we can discuss further.

Dr Vikas :

I have been told that is a technical glitch and therefore you are not able to view my reply. I am switching to Q & A mode so that you can see them.

Hello,I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you.

Now I will wait for your reply so that we can discuss further.

Regards

Vikas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not gaining wait on lamictal but am working out eat very balanced low fat healthy and walk 3 miles a day. I need to loose 15 lbs to get to my ideal weight mentally which is 139. I weigh 154 and have put it on over past 1 1/2 years gradually since starting lamictal. I want to take a low dose drug take 1/2 pill now and it's prescribed for 2 a day but I don't like taking mood altering drugs. I was an alcoholic from age 36 to 51 I have not had a drink for 6 years and do not want to depend on a chemical to carry me thru reality of life but am a very type A HYPER PERSON and just need a little help staying in a Christ like gentleness mind set with relationships. Overload of elderly family husband and 34 yr old daughter just gone thru cancer volunteer to much and have a demanding job I have to resort to a little help I know it's more tension release I need than depression med. Get overwhelmed with loaded platter do not cope like I did the first 30 years of my adult life also the drugs I have tried for only 2 week intervals that made me have severe nausea are lithium carbonate 300 mg celexa 20 mg I feel like the 12.5 mg of lamictal I take causes morning nausea I take at bedtime can you suggest a med. have been seeing a counselor for past year and have a very strong support group of husband children and women of faith and encourages in my life and most of all I have GOD each day.
Thank you

Thanks for your reply and please accept my apology for the delay in replying back.

Is it possible for you to mention your exact diagnosis.

For anger management and stress related issues, psychotherapy specially Cognitive Behavior Therapy is a much better option in my view in comparison to medicines. Have you ever tried Cognitive Behavior Therapy as such?

Regarding the medicine part, there are some medication like Prozac (Fluoxetine) which can be helpful in controlling the anger outburst and does not cause weight gain too but it again depends on your diagnosis given by your psychiatrist whether or not this medicine can useful in your case.