Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My wife is showing signs of increased hypomania. Anarexic as

My wife is showing signs of increased hypomania. Anarexic as teenager, still has eating issues and laxative use. She has always been mildly hypomania I did not know until I started reading. Last 4 months she seems like someone else. Just went through menopause. I can not find the article that I read the other day that said if anorexic and hypomanic and passes through menopause there is a great chance she will become bi-polar. Please help she is on antidepressants for depression she has not been diagnosed. Is this true. Can the menopause move her to a more manic state as I am seeing?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is true that menopause can bring on sudden mood changes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would like to ask a few more questions about her behavior, if I may.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does she become extremely angry?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Would you characterize some of her other behavior as reckless?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does she ever injure herself in other ways besides bulimia?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have the antidepressants made her behavior worse? More mania or hypomania?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Anorexia or bulimia can continue and even increase after menopause. This has to do with the loss of estrogen at menopause.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Estrogen, already decreased in menopause, fall even further when fat cells, which supply estrogen, disappear.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If she does have any biplar disorder (which is indicated by having mania or hypomania), then the worst thing she could possibly do is to take antidepressants by themselves.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Bipolar should be treated with mood stabilizers, or antiepileptics, or antipsychotic medication, with the possibility of also taking antidepressants.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall save this chat, allowing you to get back to me later, if you wish, in the chat mode, and answer some of the questions I posed, and ask any other followup questions of your own.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer:

She has become more irritable. Family members want to know whats up because she is short with them and will not return calls. I have caught her in some reckless behavior that is way out of her comfort zone. She has never injured herself or said anything about harming herself.She has become non emotional and non concerning over issues that would normally have her crying. Used to have to take three provigil to stay awake all day and work now she does not take any. She is also hypothyroid and on synthroid. Her dosage was upped about 1 year ago. I have asked her to go to the doctor about this but she is in denial and angry at me for even thinking she has a bipolar problem.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

As I said, the medications themselves may be doing more harm then good, and actually making her condition worse. If she has EVER had mania or hypomania then her diagnosis would be bipolar disorder.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I cannot stay on the line right now for I have a client coming to my office in about 10 minutes and I must get ready. However, I will save this chat for further comments or conversation, as I want very much to help.

Customer:

How do I get her to go to the Doctor. I have already alerted her primary care doc who has perscribed the antidepressants but says she has to come in for her to help. I do not beleive she will do anything unless I force her by threating to reveal her behavior to her family. I do not want to push that button. Any advise or literature that I might present for her to read on her own explaining how often it can be missed until after menopause. I do not beleive she is going to come down to reality and admit it I beleive the antidepressant has made her strong willed and unemotional.