Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am a 16 year old girl. Um, for the past couple of months I

Hi, I am a 16 year old girl. Um, for the past couple of months I have been getting a little emotional, one minute I'll be the happiest person in the world, then the next someone could say something and I'll take it the wrong way and get so angry that I lose my cool and it takes me ages to calm down. Also, for the past couple of months I have forgotten a lot of important things, usually I remembered almost everything, now, Example: My uncle came up to see us, I asked what he took in his tea, he said a sugar and milk; I finished brewing the tea and asked him the same question THREE TIMES! And tonight, my cat critically injured a mouse and I couldn't put it out of it's misery, and I watched the poor thing die, I waited for it for 15 minutes to die and all i could do was stroke it and talk to it and watch it die! My attitude and schooling has been poor since a couple of months back and I need to improve or I won't pass Yr 11. Help please
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You seem like a very kind and caring young woman. It was so lovely that you soothed the little dying mouse. It takes a very kind a gentle soul to do that.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I see that you might be online now. If so, can you tell me about your relationship with your parents and other family members?

Customer:

Um, I'm kind of close to them.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have you ever been abandoned or neglected or abused in any way?

Customer:

Not in that way. But my parents fostered my cousins a couple of years ago and whenever I wanted to talk to them they'd snap at me and so, I don't talk to them in case of that.

Customer:

Now the cousins are gone and life is semi-normal again

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How did that make you feel when you were ignored by them?

Customer:

Angry and upset, I was trying to talk to them and they'd ignore me,

Customer:

of course I felt angry

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How did your parents react when they did this to you?

Customer:

Now we talk, or whenever I want to start a conversation.... and they are more open now, but I'm not

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are talking about the cousins or your parents?

Customer:

I haven't talked to my cousins in years, I would love to but every time we tried we wouldn't get an answer. But I was talking about the parents

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

They used to be less open and they ignored you too?

Customer:

Not really, I mean the boys were diagnosed with psychotic tendencies so nerves were frayed thin. But they wouldn't let me talk. But I'm fine with my parents, I love them. I just want to know how I can get less over emotional

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What is it that sets you off and fly into a rage (get so angry that you lose your cool)?

Customer:

I don't really know, it's just small things... the chores not done.. people saying something I don't like, like I joke with my friends and we have an insult fight then all of a sudden I get angry and shut up immediately. It's just wierd small things

Customer:

and when people hassle me to do something for them but are too lazy to do it

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When your cousins were living with you did you ever feel that your parents took their side over yours?

Customer:

Kind of but after a couple of weeks, Mum and Dad actually saw what they boys did and had them tested

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Did that seem unfair to you when they took the boys' side over you? Was it frustrating? Did it make you angry?

Customer:

Ok, I got angry and stayed in my room most of the time, but I don't see how this relates to now!

Customer:

Actually I do but... you know what mean

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It may very well related to know. This is the way these issues get going. That is why I have been asking you these questions.

Customer:

Touche

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I want to help you. You are a very sweet young lady. Do you ever have any other symptoms or issues besides the anger and the forgetfulness?

Customer:

Ummmmmmmmmm, I blank out a bit... apparently mid0sentance I lose train of thought and stare at a spot for a while or until someone jerks me awake

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How do you feel about the uncle for whom you made the tea?

Customer:

My uncle is cool, I hardly see him because of distance but we're close

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Good.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The blanking out and losing your train of thought are important symptoms and throws a different light on things.

Customer:

Fantastic.

Customer:

Oh great, are you thinking that I'm one of those people that need meds or go to the psychiatric wards?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you fail to pay attention to details? Do you make careless errors in schoolwork?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you not follow through on instructions or complete chores, schoolwork, etc.?

Customer:

Kind of, and it's those stupid mistakes too!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you have trouble keeping organised?

Customer:

Yes

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you appear not to listen when told something?

Customer:

I am actually trying to get organized, I even write in my school diary but I forget about it

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Are you easily distracted by external stimuli?

Customer:

I am, I always thought that was because of me being an idiot

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you talk excessively? Are you always on the go?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

(YOU ARE DEFINITELY HIGHLY INTELLIGENT AND SENSITIVE - ABOVE AVERAGE AND NOT AN IDIOT).

Customer:

Yeah, I tend to be a chatter box and I thought I was ADHD or with ADHD tendencies.

Customer:

And I thank you immensly for that compliment, it's rare I hear that!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Bingo! That is what I see emerging - a pattern that indicates ADHD.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

(YOU SHOULD HEAR IT BECAUSE YOU ARE HIGHLY ARTICULATE AND VERY KIND-HEARTED).

Customer:

So, your saying I could have ADHD?

Customer:

And from what I gather, you are very well trained in your field!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me submit a copy of the "official" ADHD criteria. You will have no trouble deciphering them with you superior intellect. You may lose focus, but you are very smart.

Customer:

Thank you

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

ADHD

The Diagnostic criteria for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder from DSM-IV are:

Criteria A - either (1) or (2):

(1) six (or more) of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with the child's developmental level:

1. often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in

1. school

2. work

3. other activities.

2. often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities.

3. often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.

4. often does not follow through on instructions and fails to

1. finish schoolwork

2. chores

3. duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior)

4. failure to understand instructions

5. often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities

6. often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)

7. often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)

8. is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli

9. is often forgetful in daily activities

(2) six (or more) of the following symptoms of hyperactivity/impulsivity have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with the child's developmental level:

Hyperactivity

1. often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat

2. often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected

3. often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings or restlessness).

4. often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly

5. is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor."

6. often talks excessively

7. Impulsivity

1. often blurts out answers before questions have been completed

2. often has difficulty awaiting turn

3. often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games).

Criterion B: Some hyperactive-impulsive or inattentive symptoms that caused impairment were present before age 7 years.

Criterion C: Some impairment from the symptoms is present in at least two or more settings (e.g., at school [or work] and at home).

Criterion D: There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

Criterion E: The symptoms do not occur exclusively during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

The diagnosis is coded as:

314.01 ( Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Combined Type) if both Criteria A1 and A2 are met for the past 6 months

314.00 (Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type): if Criterion A1 is met but not Criterion A2 is not met for during the past 6 months

314.01 ( Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type): if Criterion A2 is met but not Criterion A1 is not met for during the past 6 months

Customer:

That is so weird.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What is?

Customer:

Several of each described me to a T.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Then your next step is to find some help in getting treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You also have some anger issues with your parents because they have let you down in the past. Hopefully they will rise to the occasion and help you now. They seem like decent people.

Customer:

So, what? Book an appointment with the GP and say. "Hey, I think I have ADHD! DIAGNOSE AWAY!"

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Going to a GP may not be the best step. A child psychologist may be better. Do you have a school psychologist or someone who can help you? GPs are not particularly well-trained in therapy.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Though a GP may be the right first step in your communitiy.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A diagnosis will be done according to the criteria that I gave you, actually.

Customer:

The school counseller should be open soon. But I though ADHD people could't sit still even when talking to people online. I have been sitting still, enough to talk to you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you notice there are three types of ADHD: inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are more of the inattentive type.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A person can be one, or two or all three.

Customer:

Ohhhhh, what do we need school for? We can learn everything on the internet!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Without bad teacher attitudes sometimes (LOL) :)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Anger is also often associated with ADHD.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You can "go to school" on line with this article:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://add.about.com/od/childrenandteens/a/anger-adhd.htm

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You can get this under control.

Customer:

I CAN DO THIS!

Customer:

THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS HAS AND IS GOING TO HELP ME A LOT!!!!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here is a workbook for you to get started with.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You can probably get it at Collins Books

Customer:

And so happens I needed to stop by the bookstore!

Customer:

Thank you so much Elliott. I am going to show Mum the book and our talk in the morning

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you the very best and shall keep you in my prayers.

Customer:

Hope you help other kids! :) And have a good day!!!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Tell your Mum that she is fortunate to have such a sweet and highly intelligent daughter. God bless you and your family. Elliott

Dear *****e,

Thank you so much. May God bless you.

Elliott