Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have had depression for many yrs. I have periods when I

I have had depression for many yrs. I have periods when I cannot talk to my friends or anyone! I can't even answer the phone. I have lost many friends because of this. My Psychiatrist said he would categorize my problem as complex trauma. I am on Cymbalta 20mg. Wellbutrin-XL 150mg x3per day. Thank you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I did not understand your dosage of Cymbalta. You said 20 mg. -XL 150mg x3per day.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is no evidence that doses greater than 60 mg/day confer any additional benefits. The safety of doses above 120 mg/day has not been adequately evaluated.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are being treated only for depression by a psychiatrist who gives you medication and gives you a category, "complex trauma", which I imagine means complex PTSD, meaning you suffered a series of traumas over time.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Suppressing your symptoms is not real therapy because it does not deal with the complex issues that have brought you to this point of high depression, and possibly other symptoms associated with PTSD.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know that you have had psychotherapy before, along with EMDR (scary for many) and hypnosis.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I suggest that you find a therapist who works with PTSD sufferers. They often work with the military and you can find them by asking at a local base or going to www.psychologytoday.com and entering your zipcode and, under issues, click trauma and PTSD.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You must look them over carefully, for some inexperienced therapists include PTSD as a specialty but are not very qualified or experienced. You can tell by reading what they say about themselves.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I see that you are online now.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Can you please tell me what your dosage is of duloxetine?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Cymbalta.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your best solution is to find a caring professional who is willing to spend the time to listen with empathy and understanding about the trauma you have suffered, and to encourage you with authentic kindness and caring. Masking symptoms with drugs, or trying to have everything pour out at once with EMDR or hypnotherapy is probably too extreme for you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success and shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMCH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I refer to you as "Dr." Elliott? My last question would be? Would you medicate me differently? I have so much anxiety daily. I have tried everything possible!!!! I've done Yoga and meditation for yrs. I can't sleep.

I can't read because I can't focus.

Dear friend,

Just Elliott is fine. :)

Speak to your doctor about the possibility of taking a benzodiazepine, in low dose, before bedtime - clonazepam or lorazeapm. If taken in small doses, or even better, only as needed, these medications can usually be taken safely. Ask your doctor if he thinks they will help you and if he is willing to give it a try?

Thank you so much. May God bless you.

Elliott