Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My husband has been on Prestiq for 1 year now and he is

My husband has been on Prestiq for 1 year now and he is needing and wanting to get off this medication please help us
Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Abruptly stopping Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) can result in discontinuation / withdrawal symptoms like dizziness, tingling sensation, nausea, insomnia, irritability, palpitation, headache etc to name a few.

Dr Vikas :

Did he experienced these symptoms after stopping it cold turkey or it was only suicidal thoughts and worsening of his symptoms/

Customer: He is still taking it to this day
Dr Vikas :

OK, I just wanted to confirm whether they were really withdrawal symptoms or worsening of his previous symptoms because of abruptly stopping Prestiq

Customer: Will being on this he experience nausea headaches trying to stay alert very very tired his doctor but him on this and ever since then has went down hill
Dr Vikas :

sorry, can you please explain it again.

Dr Vikas :

you mean to say that he was not responding to Prestiq?

Customer: He went through a surgery 3 years again called fundoplucation after that surgery he was going through a little depression so his doctor prescribed this to him and every since then he has not been himself struggles on a daily basis for 24 hours I feel that it is from this medication because he was just fine before this. Now he us having a very hard time trying to get off. We have found nobody to help us get him off of this
Dr Vikas :

Most patients usually do not report difficulty while trying to taper down Prestiq and are able to taper it down easily.

Dr Vikas :

I am suggesting you a possible option about which you can discuss with his doctor.

Dr Vikas :

In our patients who are experiencing problem in tapering Desvenlafaxine (Prestiq) we shift them on a long acting SSRI antidepressant Fluoxetine (Prozac).

Dr Vikas :

It is comparatively easier to taper down Fluoxoetine because of its long half life.

Dr Vikas :

So in his case, his doctor can try this strategy of shifting him on Prozac.

Customer: What about Welbutrin?
Dr Vikas :

in addition, his doctor can also prescribe him a low dose of Clonazepam.

Dr Vikas :

No Wellbutrin will not be of much help in this in my view

Customer: He is already taking clonzaepam
Dr Vikas :

Do you think that he is still depressed?

Customer: No not at all
Dr Vikas :

OK, in that case, just discuss with his doctor about the option of shifting him on Prozac first and then taper it down slowly.

Dr Vikas :

He is already taking Clonazepam which can control some of the withdrawal symptoms in the mean while.

Dr Vikas :

during this process.

Customer: When he is taper off will he still have the suicidle thought
Dr Vikas :

Well, suicidal thoughts are usually seen in severe depressive patients but you are saying that he is not depressed?

Customer: Correct
Dr Vikas :

in that case, I don't think that he will experience suicidal thoughts.

Customer: He says he gets depressed when getting if the Prestiq
Dr Vikas :

see that is what I am saying, if he get depressed after stopping Prestiq in that case he is still depressed.

Customer: Ok
Dr Vikas :

Now you are saying that he is not responding properly to Prestiq, in that case another option is to increase the dose of Presiq to 100 mg and see if it helps.

Dr Vikas :

Most patients respond well to 100 mg of Prestiq

Dr Vikas :

as seen clinically.

Customer: Ok
Dr Vikas :

otherwise if he want to discontinue Prestiq, his doctor can shift him on Prozac which itself is a very good antidepressant

Dr Vikas :

and can effectively control his depressive symptoms. Once he start feeling better, his doctor can then taper down Prozac easily.

Dr Vikas :

so these are the two possible options in his case in my view.

Customer: What about Zoloft
Dr Vikas :

Zoloft is also a SSRI antidepressant like Prozac but the main advantage of Prozac is its long half life.

Dr Vikas :

This can help in controlling some of the withdrawal symptoms due to stopping Prestiq.

Customer: Ok thank you
Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?

Customer: No
Dr Vikas :

don't worry, in my view, either increasing the dose of Prestiq or shifting him on Prozac both option should work in his case.

Dr Vikas :

and he will start feeling back to normal within 2-3 weeks.

Customer: Ok thank you
Dr Vikas :

:)

Dr Vikas :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question

Dr Vikas :

Please feel free to discuss further if you have other questions and press the reply back button. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas