RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

My son agrees that he needs to go to therapy. We have been

Hi, My son agrees that he needs to go to therapy. We have been talking and it seems that he might want to take time and not act on any urges that he has. I am just wondering if there would be any hynosis or medication that could help him as he decides what he does and does not feel comfortable with. He doesn't want to be having the feelings that he is experiencing right now.
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for requesting my support. I am very glad to know your son is willing to try psychotherapy.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It would be very helpful for me if you tell me more about these feelings he is experiencing, for me to provide better support.
First, i want to say that I would not recommend your son to take psychiatric medication because of feeling the way he does. he does not have a psychiatric disorder, nor presents symptoms which could justify using such drugs. Fir sure most physicians would immediately refer people in his shoes to meet a psychiatrist, just for getting anxiety medication, but such approach, in my opinion would be very unhealthy, creating serious issues at the physical and psychological levels.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

No drug has the power to change the core of the self, they could manipulate and affect psychological processes in artificial ways, no doubt, but they cannot change the person's soul, core issues and life problems. For that we all have psychological support through counseling and psychotherapy.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Now, hypnosis is a very powerful technique, and when it is used in therapeutic ways, could be a wonderful source of support anti-stress, for combating depression, anxiety disorders, enhancing learning, self-esteem and much more. Unhappily many time people and even unethical professionals could use it in antitherapeutic ways, like for repressing feelings or memories, and that would be for sure, a very destructive and counterproductive use of it. On the other hand, if your son learns self-hypnosis with a professional's support, as a way to better understand himself, improve coping and anxiety management, empower his sense of self-worthiness and confidence, learns to relax and feel more at easy when coping with stressors related to his sexual preference, then this tool could truly be an excellent help.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The feelings he has are rooted on the conflicts he experiences, between what he feels and thinks, of what should be the way for him to experience his sexual preferences, and this is happening not for him to uselessly suffer, but for him to acknowledge it's time to work on himself to better understand what has been going on, take better care of himself and learn how to better cope and enjoy life as a healthy and whole human being, regardless of what happens to be his sexual preference. For this work, psychotherapy would be of enormous help.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

Hi, What he is dealing with is the fact that he is having same sex attraction feelings and does not want to have them. He has been attracted to a female one time but was not able to perform. I think he would like to feel that he would have at least a chance of a relationship with a female but I don't know if that is possible.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** dealing with feelings that he doesn't want to have as far as his sexuality is concerned. He did feel attracted to a female one time but was not able to perform, probably due to his predominate orientation. While he wished he wasn't dealing with this at all, I think that he would just like to feel that he could have a slim chance of a relationship with a female. I think learning self hypnosis for relaxation would be a wonderful idea and we will try and a psychotherapist who perhaps can offter this service as well.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I do understand this situation and remember what was discussed before. This appears as a real conflict, that should be addressed in an assertive way. Repression does not use to lead to anything healthy but tend to empower the feelings-ideation-tendencies that were repressed, that's why the way to go should be to explore his feelings, tendencies, conflicts, values and work on them in order to find balance and harmony, even when still having to cope with unavoidable challenges this situation presents. This is why psychotherapeutic support appears as a key here.