Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

12 days ago I went up to 225mg of effexor. I am having a lot

12 days ago I went up to 225mg of effexor. I am having a lot of anxiety. I am also feeling kind of dead emotionally. What is happening. My Dr. is at a loss.  I feel like the effexor may not be the best choice anymore but the Dr. has no idea what to change me to and has for a refferal to a psychiatrist but this can take forever in canada.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Few patients may experience an increase in anxiety symptoms during the initiation of treatment of after increasing the dose but in most cases these symptoms subside within 1-3 weeks. You have recently increased the dose and may be why you are also experiencing the same.

Dr Vikas :

You can discuss with your doctor about starting Alprazolam in a low dose strength of .25 to .5 mg once or twice a day to control these anxiety symptoms and nervousness for few weeks till your anxiety symptoms subside. Later on your doctor can taper it down.

Dr Vikas :

Alprazolam also has a mood elevating effect so it will also help in emotional numbness.

Dr Vikas :

are you online right now?

Customer:

Yes I am on line. I do notice that the anxiety has decreased some what over the last day.

Dr Vikas :

That is a good thing. In that case, you need not to worry much as this anxiety symptoms should subside by its own. As I mentioned earlier, you can discuss with your doctor about trying Alprazolam either daily or as and when needed basis to control the intermittent anxiety symptoms if any.

Customer:

Ok. One thing the Dr. did mention was abilify, what is your opinion on this option?

Dr Vikas :

Abilify in low dose can be added in certain cases for treatment resistant depression but I don't think it will be of any help in controlling anxiety symptoms.

Customer:

Good to know. I had the feeling the GP was not sure what to do. I will take note of your advise though. Thank You

Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?