TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I did not tell anyone about my panic attack for three years.

I did not tell anyone about my panic attack for three years. Is this common?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
Yes, it is common for people to hide their panic attacks and anxiety. Many people feel a sense of shame when they experience panic attacks because they feel they should not be so afraid of "nothing". This attitude is also due to societies view that those who are fearful are weak in nature, when quite the opposite is true. People who experience anxiety and panic must face terrifying fear that is difficult to overcome. Dealing with anxiety and panic takes a lot of strength and courage. And in order to deal with panic and anxiety, reaching out for help is the best way to overcome the fears. This also takes a lot of strength and insight to be able to do.
Telling someone about your fear can be hard. You do not know how they will react. And if you experience panic and fears, support is vital in helping you feel better. But sometimes just the act of sharing can be very healing. Having the support as well as understanding from someone who is there for you can be very comforting and help you overcome your panic.
I hope this has helped you,
Kate