Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

is it too soon to go to bed with this person

I'm dating someone who has multiple personality disorder and grew up with severe sexual abuse by family members. I've known her for a month and she constantly crys and wants my attention and affection. I love the attention and physical closeness she shows me. We have only kissed and dry humped..we are thinking about going to a hotel this weekend to sleep together. We've said we would keep our clothes on. My question is, am I going to fast before I really know her. I think I've fallen in love with her.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have you experienced any of the other personalities or just the one?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A person with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) which used to be called multiple personality disorder, is often not aware of the other personality or personalities that "inhabit" or share her consciousness. They can be very different.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She may also be suffering from depression and anxiety. When taken together, she may be suffering from Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as a result of her childhood sexual abuse. PTSD and this kind of dissociation are often tied together.

Customer:

I haven't seen any other personalities. She says that when she tells anyone about the mpd she allienates everyone. She has no friends. I don't feel comfortable being her only support system. She has never been in a relationship. She is 44 and has no relationship with her family. Should I wait til she is on therapy before we go to bed

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Yes. You do not want to get involved with someone who is so needy and so unstable. You will fall in love with a phantom and have many problems.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She has to hang on to something and you are a good and loving and sympathetic man, but you are not a therapist and she will use you as a support and it will drain your energy. Help her to get help, but don't get too involved with her because it will become a trap at this point.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to me.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC