How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to do modification for custody, refer to

This answer was rated:

I am planning to do modification for custody, refer to question I have asked in recent months. I wish to ask my psychologist to diagnose children's father for mental illness based on symptons that children's counselors have already written in their counselor notes and will testify prior in court: "Father doesn't set boundaries, he excessive corrects-tendency to fault finds-blames others, he admits he's perfect in timing "when he makes late arrangements for child go to ABT so ABT has to make alternate arrangements to compensate for him being late," he says "timing was perfect," doesn't intervene when kids have conflicts -so they have fights get bruised, he ignores kids , son expresses hostility-resentment excessive from norm at father, he ignores son viewing bloody very hostile violent internet cartoons, he and son laugh at violence and conflicts-father chuckles, father needs to learn to listen-validate-support children ( I think these show lack of empathy in father), father doesn't listen-he talks over son-and interrupts which counselor says "family habit talk over interrupt)-excessive correct, (does that mean excessive criticize?), pattern communication problems, daughter says she's walking on egg shells, counselors diagnos kids have depression-suicide ideation-parent relational problems-adjustment disorder w/ anxiety-difficulty concentration-insominia -stress...all of these problems caused by father says counselors, son says Father doesn't care about him-(lack empathy), son hits father in counseling-father gets angry shows fists but doesn't do anything or say a word-just ignores, Father calls Elizabeth (15 yrs. old lovely daughter ballet student) names "dellusional-tyrant-crazy-loosing touch with reality," daughter said he swung a pot at her head-she jumped out of way to not be hit, daughter says father is bully-mean. Finally, I would hope my lawyer would say "isn't it grandiose for the father to want custody when he causes all these problems with kids? Yes. I know grandiose is another sympton of major mental illness. He also skips "phone calling of kids to Mother-breach order, every month for 6 years-he has chronic excuses for forgetting-making mistakes to miss her calling times court ordered. What mental illness could you diagnos with the above symptons of father or could you say he has symptons of these mental illnesses? I believe he has 4 mental illnesses. But what do you think? The one big one mental illness would help if every psych. could diagnos it from the above lists?

Children's psychologists-counselors are doing family counseling with father-children.  Could the man children's psychologist diagnos the Father based on the above symptons?  Or would be best for my "adult family psychologist that helps me " to diagnos father?  I am showing my psychologist the "children's counseling notes and encouraging her to call the children's psychologists to understand the Father's issues with children.  I am asking my psychologist to "help me to help my kids with the Father's issues with kids."  I plan to show her how I help the kids to improve mental health thru church ideas I self-esteem-build positive relations with Father, focus on positive thought and intend to have my psych. help me think of more ways to help my children "recover from the Father's issues."  She has agreed to help me with this project.

Which of our psychologists do you think could "best diagnos the Father in court?

My psychologist has PHD in family conflict and all the children's/father's issues....depression/suicide ideation/parent relational problems/stress....all the symtpons above are mentioned on her credentials.  I don't know if the psych. of children have PHDs and I don't know if they'd be willing to diagnos the father-but they do write comments about him and they involve him in therapy with children.  They seem to recommend to him how to act better towards children-at least our son.  They do diagnos that he has parent issues they write in their counseling notes.


My name is ***** ***** I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am waiting for a reply. Thank you.


Thank you ….hopefully it won’t take too much longer for me to find the right Professional for you! Please don't respond to this as it may prevent the Professionals from accessing your question. You will receive an email when your professional has responded. If you want to cancel, please let me know, and I will do that for you. Thank you for your continued patience.


Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

There is a very clear and simple approach that should be taken in court.

To try to present the testimony of an expert witness is probably a fruitless course of action.

Trying to show that he may be bipolar because he is grandiose, or any other speculative reasons for which he can counter with his own expert psychologist (who can be unwittingly influenced by this man's presentation to this psychologist).

Lying on job applications will probably not be strong evidence to put his custody fitness into question either.

HOWEVER, he is not fit because he is emotionally abusive. He has shown his fists. He bullies. He has anger issues (documented outside of the home and documentable with the testimony of the children.

An attorney who focuses on THIS aspect of the man's behavior will most likely convince the court that a man like this may merit no more than supervised visitation, and may be ordered to undergo anger management classes.

So rather than have to diagnose mental illness, it is much easier to demonstrate that he is abusive by his proven behavior and not from a speculative diagnosis (all diagnoses are speculative, in a sense).

I urge you to focus like a laser beam on this behavior and predict that this is your best chance to gain the attention and support of the court.

I shall keep your family in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you