Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

How can you tell the difference between teenage depression

How can you tell the difference between teenage depression or just angst?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Why do you think that your daughter may be depressed?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is a chat format and you can respond by typing something and then clicking REPLY.

Customer:

She is always sullen, withdrawn from friends, denies having friends, has no social life, thinks she's fat. She is so negative that she sucks the energy out of the room

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does she ever pull out of it?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does anything bring her joy?

Customer:

No it seems to be getting worse. Nothing seems to make her happy. She finds the negative in every one and every thing

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Has her sleep patterns or eating patterns changed?

Customer:

No she sleeps fine, never naps. She is a boredom eater. She's a little thick but not fat

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Is she losing interest in the things that once excited or motivated her?

Customer:

She has always had the same eating pattern

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Is she fatigued? Has she slowed down?

Customer:

She doesn't really have interests. Always by herself, but has always been a loner but now she's an angry, sullen loner.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How about her school work. Has it suffered?

Customer:

No not fatigued but slumped and in a funk.

Customer:

Still a good student

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Has she suffered any teenage romantic setbacks or rejections?

Customer:

For example, I gave the neighbor a ride to school today, they are 1 year apart. my daughter stared out the window with her earbuds in and wouldn't even talk to the girl

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

An thus this affecting her social life?

Customer:

She had a close friend that she always talked about, she would not admitt to a crush though. He moved away in Dec and doesn't really respond to her texts. We noticed her sense of loss and think this is when things started to change

Customer:

Yes, the kids in her class all do things together but she never gets invited. I think they see the negative too.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I think that this may be the cause of her low mood.

Customer:

What to do?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Was she invited BEFORE this boy moved away?

Customer:

She was invited but never wanted to go because she always finds some reason that she doesn't want to be around the person

Customer:

She was not invited very often though.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

So the departure of her friend was not the main reason but perhaps an aggravating factor?

Customer:

Yes, I would agree to that.She is a very pretty girl, so it's not like she is an ugly duckling getting ignored

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

But she is sad. Does she think she is pretty? How would you rate her self-esteem on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest?

Customer:

she has no confidence, low self asteem (3), always sad. She puts up this false front where she says "i'm so beautiful" but I don't think she really believes it. She's always complaining about her hair, thighs, small boobs ect..

Customer:

We eat well, try to do organic. She's well nourished, no meds, no health problems

Customer:

Mom and Dad are healthy, no meds, or health problems. My side of the family (mom) has some anger issues and addiction problems

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What cheers ***** ***** would cheer her? Clothes, cosmetics, hairdo makeover? What has helped before. It is a matter of trying to break the cycle. Organic is great. I do too.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Doctor's will want to give her meds. I think they are harmful in most cases.

Customer:

I offered that up because I notice the most ill behaved children come from the most nutritionally deprived homes. I will not allow meds.

Customer:

She likes to shop, nails, hair.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Good. I am glad to hear how you feel about the meds. That is the medical cop-out.

Customer:

We live in the Virgin Islands. Health care here is terrible. No mental health support on the island at all. No shopping either. Maybe ai should take her to Puerto Rico for a day at the mall

Customer:

could be as simple as a few good days?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How about a make-over for her - her choice. Give her a treat because for the express reason that she needs a break from the blahs.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

PR sounds like a wonderful idea. Maybe a family vacation (weekend) with a change of pace and a shopping venture.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She is suffering from some depression but she can be pulled out of it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have a workbook that should be helpful.

Customer:

We just returned from a week of sailing the British Virgin Islands, but still no shopping there.

Customer:

I would be interested in your workbook

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have three, in fact. All good, and all directed at teens. Let me go to my file. I will give you amazon.com links.

Customer:

Great thanks

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Beyond the Blues: A Workbook to Help Teens Overcome Depression by Lisa M. Schab LCSW

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Recovering from Depression: A Workbook for Teens by Mary Copeland M.A. M.S. and Stuart Copans M.D.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** always helpful.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You sound like a wonderful family and I believe that you will be able to pull her out of this. Take one step at a time and of course you will let her come out of this state at her own pace, as long as she is moving forward.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** order the workbooks tonight.

Customer:

If you would like to come down to St. Croix, we have the extra room. I'll just plan some alone time for the two of you :)

Customer:

Thanks again, you've been very helpful

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Wonderful. She has you on her side and that is a wonderful. Thank you so much. I would love to go but JustAnswer would fire me for breach of our agreement. :) That is so kind.

Customer:

take care

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are so welcome. I shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

May God bless and protect your family. Elliott