Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My sister is a great lady but she has periods of thinking

everyone including me are trying...
My sister is a great lady but she has periods of thinking everyone including me are trying to get her. For instance, if she is napping, she accuses me of shooting her with projectiles to keep her awake... She thinks there are people following her all the time...and that they are shooting her with electricity jolts and I'm not sure that is even possible...but in her mind they are out to hurt her or even kill her.. She is on Clonzapam and tromidol... I'm sure they are spelled wrong but hopefully you will be able to understand them... I can't talk to her about it because she wants me to believe it is really happening to her and wants me on her side so to speak... When I try to explain that nothing is really happening, she gets very upset and says that I am just trying to make her feel paranoid... I truly believe she is, but can't tell her that... she won't listen...What can I do to help her?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2013
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Dr Vikas :

Hello

Customer:

Hi there

Dr Vikas :

On the basis of what you have mentioned it appears to me that she is experiencing psychotic symptoms such as Delusion and Hallucinations

Dr Vikas :

Unfortunately in such a state patient is not able to understand the reality of situation and for him or her this is truly happening.

Customer:

I think so too but she says its not in her head. She said that if she believed that to be the case she would have been to see a doctor as soon as possible

Dr Vikas :

Patient has no insight about her illness and when you try to confront her she will start thinking that you are also one of those people.

Customer:

She thinks everyone is out to get her... Her neighbors, our family, everyone!!!

Dr Vikas :

Yes, that it characteristic of paranoid delusion.

Customer:

Yes she does... she is accusing me of doing some very crazy things and right now is upset with me and not speaking

Dr Vikas :

do you know what exactly is her diagnosis?

Dr Vikas :

is she under treatment of a psychiatrist?

Customer:

I don't know her diagnosis, but she used to see a psychiatrist but doesn't think she needs one any more

Dr Vikas :

this is because of lack of insight regarding her symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

Is she currently seeing any doctor?

Dr Vikas :

GP?

Customer:

My question to u is... Could she be dangerous to me if I don't sorta go along with her?

Customer:

Yes

Dr Vikas :

well, it is difficult to comment upon from here as I am not aware of her mental status but one thing is sure that she definitely need antipsychotics for controlling her current symptoms.

Customer:

also is the clonazapam enough to help her?

Dr Vikas :

The best way to deal with her right now is to not oppose or confront what she says.

Customer:

She will be as sweet and loving lady you have ever met and at the drop of a hat she is a devil woman

Dr Vikas :

You may say that you disagree with what she is saying but don't oppose her as what she is experiencing is true for her.

Customer:

Should I talk to her doc behind her back, because she would not let me if I told her what I was going to do

Customer:

she is good at putting on a good face and acting like she's fine until u back her into a corner

Dr Vikas :

If it possible for you to do so, you can discuss with her Doctor as an informant about these symptoms and may be he will seek a psychiatrist referral.

Dr Vikas :

antipsychotics once started can control her symptoms within 2-4 weeks.

Dr Vikas :

Clonazepam is an antianxiety medicine and can't control psychotic symptoms like delusion or hallucinations.

Customer:

about the meds she is on... won't they help her

Customer:

you read my mind

Dr Vikas :

:)

Customer:

well I know she has an appt in May with her doctor (same as Mine) so maybe I can talk to him first. She really needs help or I am afraid that she will run again and it will be years before we hear from her again.

Dr Vikas :

I agree with you that she definitely need a psychiatric evaluation and treatment.

Dr Vikas :

on the basis of these symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

don't worry, she will respond to antipsychotics very well

Dr Vikas :

and these symptoms will go away in no time.

Customer:

If you could talk to her for about 30 min you would probably be sending the white shirts and straight jacket tonight... just the way she tells everyone about getting zapped with electric currents even in her house... and she has put up mirrors to send the beams back at them....

Dr Vikas :

totally agree with you.

Customer:

can u give me an idea of what type med would help her?

Dr Vikas :

For delusions and hallucinations, atypcial antipsychotics like Zyprexa, Abilify, Seroquel, Risperdal can be very helpful.

Dr Vikas :

In most cases, patients start responding within a week and within a month significant improvement is seen.

Customer:

Is there a way they can be prescribed and not say what they are for? because she says nothing is wrong with her ...its everyone else

Dr Vikas :

well, it depends on the treating doctor who he or she deals with the situation. We as a psychiatrists are well trained to motivate patients. :)

Customer:

well I have tried to get her to go see her old psychiatrist and she says she doesn't need to... that everything she has said to me has happened...

Customer:

so not sure she will go to one. Can GP give her the prescriptions

Dr Vikas :

well, her doctor can liaise with the psychiatrist and in that case this can be possible.

Customer:

good then I will definitely talk to him before her appt.

Dr Vikas :

great.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help... She has said so many hurtful things to me in the past month, but I know that Its not my sister accusing me but the person that takes her over when she is in these moods. I can now say that I have forgiven her now because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to. I just want her well and happy.

Dr Vikas :

I really do appreciate your concern towards your sister's health.

Customer:

I love her and I am very worried that I won't get my sweet sister back.

Customer:

I don't want the devil woman back tho

Dr Vikas :

she does not mean what she is saying as she is not aware of the reality. Once she start responding to medicine you will notice a great difference and the person you know will be back in no time.

Customer:

GREAT!!!

Dr Vikas :

:)

Dr Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?

Customer:

Well thank you for chatting with me... It has been very helpful.... I just wish I could send her to u

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

thanks for your kind words.

Dr Vikas :

and thanks for coming to JA.

Dr Vikas :

may I discontinue the chat now.

Customer:

Yes and Happy Easter

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please Bookmark my profile link in your browser. ( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr Vikas :

Happy ester to you too.

Customer:

now what do i do? lol

Customer:

just close browser?

Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
You have to rate the answer as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist