Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

What is the proper procedure for discontinuing Citralopram

What is the proper procedure for discontinuing Citralopram use?

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Do you want to know, how to taper down Citalopram (Celexa)?

Dr Vikas :

If yes, please mention the dose of Citalopram.

Dr Vikas :

Kindly also tell me, since when you are taking it/

Customer:

Yes, I want to discontinue use of Citalopram 40mg. I have taken this dosage since 2002.

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for your reply.

Dr Vikas :

Specially with Citalopram, tapering is usually not necessary but it is always better to taper down a SSRI antidepressant like Citalopram. Most patients who are taking 40 mg per day are able to taper down by reducing the dose to 20 mg, taking it for 4-6 days, followed by further reducing the dose to 10 mg, taking it for next 3-5 days, then again reducing the dose to 5 mg and taking it for next 3-5 days followed by discontinuation.

Dr Vikas :

Having said this, please note that tapering a antidepressant is a highly individualized process and the rate of tapering may vary from patient to patient.

Dr Vikas :

If while tapering down or after stopping the Citalopram, withdrawal symptoms appear, in that case the simple strategy to control these symptoms is to restart the previous tolerable dose and then taper down more slowly.

Dr Vikas :

You can discuss with your doctor about the strategy I mentioned and hopefully you will be able to taper it down easily.

Dr Vikas :

Please feel free to discuss further if you have any doubt or any other queries in your mind.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas