TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

How does xanax work. In otherwords what effects does it have

How does xanax work. In otherwords what effects does it have on the brain and what parts of the brain does it work on
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
Xanax is a benzodiazapine which increases the amount of the neurotransmitter in the brain called GABA. This chemical messenger naturally slows down messages in the brain including anxiety messages. Xanax not create GABA but instead allows it to remain available to the neurons that use it, slowing responses like anxiety.
The part of the brain that is mostly impacted by Xanax is called the pre frontal cortex. This part of the brain is responsible for our focus and control. This part works in conjunction with another part of the brain called the cingulate gyrus. Together, these help level out our arousal responses.
Xanax can greatly impact your short term memory, and because it is addictive, it has to be weaned off slowly, most often under a doctor's supervision. Once you are weaned off Xanax (if you are on it now), it should be safe to take other medications.
I hope this has helped you,
Kate
May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I'm takin xanax, low dose, three times a day is likely to make me sleep better at night.

It can help you sleep better while you are on it, but it is not meant to be a long term solution to difficulty sleeping because of it's addictive qualities.
Kate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Remembered something else. Because I'm constantly tired during the day the Dr. ordered a very small dose of an amphetamine. Sounds as though this counteracts the xanax. Am I right?

He might have prescribed it to help you if you are going to withdrawal from it. Or he did it to help you counteract the side effects which depending on your system may be stronger in you than most people.
Kate
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.
My best to you,
Kate