How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5807
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

BIpolar wife has decent psychiatrist with a co-office located

This answer was rated:

BIpolar wife has decent psychiatrist with a co-office located therapist. Therapist has never in 3 years invited or allowed family to participate in sessions. Wife is hypomanic now and medication resistant. Are there resources to find an alternative therapist to play quarterback for us in the northern OH area?


and... Is it "current thinking" to not involve family in treatment?



Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like the therapist your wife is seeing may not be the best one for her. A second opinion might be the best idea to see if your wife is being treated properly with the right kind of medications and therapy.

While it is understandable that you want to be part of her sessions, according to the law of privacy (HIPPA laws) she must agree and sign a release for anyone else to be part of her treatment. If she does not, then the therapist is bound by the law to not even acknowledge your wife is in treatment. Otherwise, she/he may lose their license.

Finding another therapist to help you with this situation and offer more than a second opinion might be difficult. Therapists, like doctors, are not ethically allowed to go against each other and question each others methods. Another therapist can offer a second opinion but beyond that, they cannot intrude into another therapist's practice and participate in treatment.

Here is a resource to help you find another therapist in your area for a second opinion:

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you... we really need to find a "specialist" in dealing with BIpolar disorder. My wife is subtle vs needing electroshock. After experiencing the past 3 years know that "family focus" is our only hope. Any more specific resources you know of?

There really is not specifically Bipolar therapists (no certain degree or specialist in Bipolar) but there are therapists that have more experience in treating Bipolar. Here is a listing of the ones available in Ohio:

Here is a psychiatrist that specializes in ECT and treatment of adult psychiatric disorders. If he cannot help, he may know someone that can.


Related Mental Health Questions