Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Remedy for insomnia from taking 100 mg zoloft for 3 weeks…

Customer Question
remedy for insomnia from taking...

remedy for insomnia from taking 100 mg zoloft for 3 weeks now , i never had this issue before, i tried trazadon 150 mg and have hangover also tried 2 klonpin didnt help , i tried ativan makes me depresed

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/24/2013
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Hi there,
Welcome to Just answer !
Please tell the time of intake of Zoloft ?
Is the insomnia on a regular basis or sporadic ?
Regards

8 am , insomnia regular for the last 3 weeks

Ok. Thanks for the inputs. Well benadryl that is cough syrup to be taken 1 tea spoon full of it at bedtime will be better alternative than Tylenol pm which also has the same ingredient of an anti histamine which induces sleep but it has an additional acetaminophen which is redundant in your case. So try using benadryl for a few days along with shifting the time of intake of Zoloft to 8 pm as it works better when taken at night and even the insomnia also gets over on it's own with timing of intake. I hope this helps. Wish you all the best. Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will I be credited for my service. Regards

i took zoloft 8 am today how and when do i switch to 8 pm,

can i also take trezdon if it does not work for me the same knight

Tomorrow onwards you shall start taking Zoloft at night time dosing while start taking 1 tea spoon full of benadryl from tonight which shall be continued tomorrow and days beyond until insomnia is relieved but do seek approval from your doctor about the addition of benadryl and timing change of Zoloft.
If you plan to add trazodone also then you shall not change the timing of intake of Zoloft and continue it in the am dosing.
Regards

my pharmacy told me it would be worse taking zoloft at knight,

and if tazedone did not help benadryl wont help either

Ok..

Then you can do one thing if you are apprehensive about trying what i have suggested and that is to continue taking zoloft at 8 am but lower the dose of trazodone to 50 mg to be taken at bedtime so that it induces sleep without causing next morning hangover / grogginess.

I hope this helps.

Regards..

I took 100 mglast knight and was up all night knight

How much dose of klonopin did you try and for how many days ?

Have you tried a drug called as phenergan / promethazine hcl?

1 mg, 3 days and when i tried 1.5 i was crazy the next day

Mental Health Professional: Camille-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Camille-Mod

My name is ***** ***** I’m the moderator for this topic. I am sorry, but It seems that the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. But don’t worry….. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our Professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille

Mental Health Professional: Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist

Since Dr Kaushik has opted out, I would like to answer your question if you are still interested in getting a reply.

Please do let me know if you want me to answer your question.

Thanks

Vikas

yes please, i tried trezezdan for sleep and have a hangover

Thanks for your reply.

Are you currently taking Trazadone daily or have tried Trazadone for few days only.

Other than Zoloft which other medicine you are taking daily and in what dose. Kindly also mention the timings.

Thanks

Vikas

100 mg zoloft 9 am no other meds,

i went to bed 10 pm, i started now daily for 3 days 150 mg trezedone with .5 klonopin

and woke up at 33o am stayed in bed till 8, a litle headeace for 1 hour

also tried without klonopin but was little anxiety in the morning

best regards

leo

Thanks for your reply Leo.

For sedation alone, Trazadone 50 mg is sufficient in most cases. Increasing the dose to 150 mg can lead to significant carry over sedation in the next day. It can also cause other side effect like headache.

So, first thing you can do is to discuss with your doctor about reducing the dose of Trazadone to 50 mg to be taken at night. Zoloft being an activating antidepressant can be taken in morning because when taken in evening or at night, it can cause insomnia.

Most likely, 50 mg of Trazadone taken around 1 hour before sleeping at night should help you in getting a good night sleep.

Now for controlling anxiety symptoms, instead of taking Klonopin daily, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you mouth dissolving preparation of Klonopin (Klonopin wafer) in low dose to be taken on only as and when needed basis. Klonopin wafer can bypass gastric metabolism and therefore can bring quick relief in anxiety symptoms within minutes to hour as seen in clinical practice.

In addition to these medicines, you can also try Relaxation techniques for your insomnia specially Progressive muscle relaxation technique. I am giving you a link to these relaxation techniques below.

Relaxation techniques often can help people with sleep problems get a good night's sleep. Several relaxation techniques are listed below.

Progressive Relaxation
Toe Tensing
Deep Breathing
Guided Imagery
Quiet Ears

source

I hope this helps. Please feel free to discuss further if you have any doubt or queries regarding my suggestions.

Kind regards

Vikas
I only take klonopin to fall asleep fast
I tried 100 mg trazadone It does not work. Also the 150 mg I wake up at 3 am
Leo,

For insomnia / sedation, the usually recommended dose of Trazadone is 50 mg at night.

In case, you are not finding Trazadone useful, there is another very good alternative available about which you can discuss with your doctor.

Mirtazapine is a very sedating antidepressant and in a dose strength of 7.5 or 15 mg at night, most patient are able to get a very good sleep. I personally prefer Mirtazapine over Trazadone for this purpose. Mirtazapine when added to Zoloft can also counteract the gastrointestinal or sexual side effect if any due to Zoloft.

The combination of Zoloft with Mirtazapine is a very powerful combination and I believe can be a useful option in your case.

Kind regards

Vikas

i al of a sudden am losing vision can that be caused by zoloft

I have never heard or seen any patient complaining of vision loss because of Sertraline (Zoloft).

There are several possible medical causes of sudden vision loss.

Sudden Changes in Vision Demand Urgent Attention

You should consult an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) as soon as possible to rule out other possible causes of Vision loss.

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas