Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I feel as though there is no going back from hear and that

the best i have to...
I feel as though there is no going back from hear and that the best i have to look forward to is a life keeping these 'mental' problems at bay but I'm scared the suididal nd worthlessness feeling will always be there and it's exhaustingly scary and barely an incentive to carry on or try for a future. I'm scared that a lot of my problem stem from my basic personality and that there is something inherently doomed in my make up which mean there'll be no help for me. I imagine a lot of people have this unshakable sense, are these the people that don't make it? Are they right?
I have always had a melancholy, intrasepective and harshly sel critical streak from childhood and was often socially not fitting in, I am 25 female and the past 2 years have brought things too extremity in that I was betrayed heavily my 3 people very close and I cannot take anymore. I would always repress and self analyse bad things before and this was often successful, but now I am incapable of the strength that takes. I have had several breakdowns, been depressed, lonely, angry and violent and I am not enjoying my life.
Would counselling or drugs be a way to go?
3/24/2013
TherapistMarryAnn
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
From your description, it sounds like you are experiencing depression, possibly Melancholic type or Dysthymia. These are types of depression that fit some of the symptoms you are describing.
Although you may feel that you have to spend your life holding on and just dealing with what you feel there are ways to help yourself that can improve your mood and help you cope so you can live a normal life. Many people with depression experience the sense of doom you describe and they do fine with treatment. The sense of doom is a symptom of depression. And it does lift with treatment so you can feel better.
The first step you can take to deal with these symptoms is to see a therapist. A full evaluation is needed to tell what your diagnosis is and if you do have depression, what type of depression. It matters so you know what treatment would be best for you. Talk to your doctor about a referral. Or search on line at http://www.bacp.co.uk/.
With most depressions, a combination of drugs and therapy are often the best way to help you feel better. Drugs can help lift your mood enough that you feel better and can seek the treatment you need. Here are some resources you can use now to begin helping yourself:
http://psychcentral.com/resources/Depression/Support_Groups/
http://depression.supportgroups.com/
http://www.nami.org/
http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm
Once you are able to reach out, you will start to feel better. Let others support you and offer help. You do not have to do this alone.
I hope this has helped you,
Kate
May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn
Here is another resource that may help:
http://www.webmd.com/depression/depression-medications-antidepressants
Kate
Please do not forget to rate my service with an OK or higher. Thank you!
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist