Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Thanks for reading my question. I am -polar and have stopped

Hi, thanks for reading my...
Hi, thanks for reading my question.
I am bi-polar and have stopped all my psych meds 2 1/2 months ago. I made this decision because, after 12 years on various meds my physical health has become so poor because of the side effects of the meds. I guess someone with bi-polar or other mood disorders have to choose between good mental health or good physical health. It's very hard, if not impossible to achieve both.
My problem now is that I am manic. I have been for about the past month. I've handled it well until recently. I've never experienced mania before in quite this way. It seems to be all internal. From the time I wake up in the morning until the time I finally go to sleep I am having a constant conversation with myself. Nothing I've tried has distracted me from this constant chatter. I'm finding it hard to function. The only thing that seems to help at all is having a few stiff drinks. I don't like to be drunk so I limited myself to just a few. That was fine with me when I used this method as a way to cope just once or twice a week. Now it is daily. Sometimes twice a day. I recently was hospitalized with a blood clot and am now on Coumadin. It is just not safe for me to be consuming alcohol at this rate.
I don't feel I'm in need for emergency care at this point, but I need to see a psychiatrist soon. I don't think I can wait the 2 to 3 months it takes to get a first time appointment.
I am also not willing to go back on meds on a regular basis. I just want something I can take as needed. I don't know what that would be, but I need a doctor who is willing to listen to my concerns about meds and is willing to work with me.
And now, finally to my question. I need help in finding a doctor who will see soon. I am hoping you would be able to recommend someone in my area who could help me. I've looked on my own and all I could find for immediate care is going to the emergency room or going to the local psych hospital. I'm afraid they will then decide to hospitalize me. I really don't want to take that chance.
I have good insurance. cigna open access and medicare as secondary ins.
Sorry this is so long. It's just how my brain is working at the moment.
Thanks for taking my question
Sue Daniel
3/23/2013
Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Dr. L :

Hello Sue,

Dr. L :

I would like to help with your question.

Dr. L :

I will check in your area for psychiatrists with the skills you are looking for. Give me a few minutes and I will provide you with that information.

Dr. L :

Dr. Richelle http://www.uptownpsych.com/

Dr. L :

Dr. Kaegi http://charleskaegi.com/

Dr. L :

Dr.Langner http://www.attachmentdisturbances.com/

Dr. L :

Let me know what you think of these individuals after you take a look at their websites.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Customer:

Dear Dr. L

Customer:

Dear Dr L I did check out the websites of the doctors you provides to me. I am happy you got back to me so quickly. Unfortunetly I cannot easily travel to their offices. Although it may not appear that they are very far from me in mileage. I live in a very congested area and in fact the trip would take about 2 hours each way. I live in Schaumburg, IL and the closest psych hospital is Alexian Brothers Behavioral hospital in Hoffman Estates, IL There are many psychiatrists affiliated with this hospital but I have not been successful in finding one that can meet my needs. The towns in my area that I could travel to are: Elk Grove Village, Roselle, Bloomingdale, Palatine, Inverness, Elgin. I hope you can still help me in finding someone who could see me quickly and be able to help me. Thanks. *****

Dr. L :

Yes Sue, I will look in these cities and get right back to you.

Dr. L :

Give me a few minutes.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. L :

http://www.draimeeandassociates.com/

Dr. L :

Look at the above link in Bloomingdale while I continue looking...

Dr. L :

http://www.pbsdoctors.com/

Dr. L :

There are several psychiatrists in this practice.

Dr. L :

This is all I can find. Are any of these possible?

Customer:

Thanks for the info. Dr Aimee in Bloomingdale does look promising. I haven't checked out the other link yet. I am going to try and contact one of these doctors tomorrow if possible. It's the week-end so I may have to wait for Monday. I am very pleased with the help you have given me today. I have spent a lot of time looking for doctors online and never came across these. Thank you so much.

Dr. L :

You are very welcome!

Dr. L :

Please know that psychiatrists often have busy practices and it may take some time to get in. The issue is that psychiatrists are in short supply. So please do not lose faith!

Customer:

I will try and hang in there

Dr. L :

I wish you the best

Dr. L :

Take care!

Customer:

Thanks. You too.

Dr. L :

Good evening!

Customer:

bye

Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Dr. L
Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist