How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask psychlady Your Own Question
psychlady, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 6893
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
psychlady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son became emotionally abusive while addicted to Rx

This answer was rated:

my son became emotionally abusive while addicted to Rx drugs. He has been clean 3 yrs now but his behavior towards me hasnt changed. He is demanding, manipulative and highly abusive saying things such as stupid b**ch, no one ever liked you, just having you as my mother makes me want to kill myself.he even told me once I deserved to be drug in the street and raped. He had a good homelife before the drugs and we had a good relationship prior. Will he ever be the person he was before?

Sometimes drugs mask issues that are deeper than the drugs. This often results in the true symptoms remaining as the drugs leave the system. It is very common for people with drug habits to experience true symptoms such as a mood disorder or anxiety issues. That could be why he is still abusive. He needs to see a mental health professional so that his mood is more typical and he can stabilize the deeper issue. Reactions to drugs do not last for extensive periods of time. Encourage him to see a professional so that he can address the real problem. Now that the drugs are in the past this behavior is indicative of a mental health problem - possibly a mood disorder. People use drugs to fix an issue like this and really just postpone experiencing the uncomfortable presence of these problems. Find a professional in your area.

You can do this by contacting the Board that licenses professionals in your area.
psychlady and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions