How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 3707
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 23 year old son is having -polar symptoms. He is having

This answer was rated:

my 23 year old son is having bi-polar symptoms. He is having mood swings from happy to angry that are pretty extreme while working non-stop on writing music until his blood sugar bottoms out. There is quite a bit of stress going on in his life at the moment. He is in a band that is up for a big award this weekend. They work almost every night until very early in the morning. He is expecting a baby with his girlfriend and lives at home. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, hypo-thyroidism and addison's disease at the age of 16. I believe he needs to see a dr that can connect all of the endocrine issues and mental issues but I have been unsuccessful in finding one. He tried two different counselors at the time he was diagnosed and convince one that he was fine. The other was no help because he did not understand how the endocrine system affects anything. His endocrinologist is treating the endocrine system but not the mental health. What kind of dr do you recommend?
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about your sons problems and the lack of continuity in his medical care.

Bill :

In addition to the Endocrinologist, your son needs to be seeing a Board Certified Adult Psychiatrist that can work in collaboration or consultation with the Endocrinologist.

Bill :

This happens all of the time and the coordinated effort between the two Experts should bring more stability to your sons life.

Bill :

If you respond with your City State and Zip Code = I will be happy to check for Experts in your area.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fountain Valley CA 92708

I did some internet searching and found that he probably needs a psychiatrist with psychoneuroendocrine experience. Do you agree or am I way off base? I could only find one in my area that listed anything like this. Her name is***** Do you know of any others? I was thinking that he might do better with a male dr but I think knowledge of endocrine disfunction is more important.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I was satisfied... I was just continuing the conversation
Hi Kellie-

If I was you, I would contact Univ of California, Irvine Department of Outpatient Psychiatry for a referrral in your area.

Here is the link:

Clinical Outpatient Services

Irvine And Orange Offices(###) ###-####/p>

Acadmic Insitutions typically know who is best for the specific needs someone such as your son has. I do not know Dr. Shuder however, I did look at her work online and she may be a good resource-------even if to contact for a referral or to see your son.

I am sure you will not have too much finding the right match for your son.

Kindest regards, Bill