Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am looking for a psychiatrist with experience in mental

health disorders to diagnose what...
I am looking for a psychiatrist with experience in mental health disorders to diagnose what my mom has so that we can help her get treatment. She is a 60 yr old of south asian origin and in general is in good shape and does not drink or smoke. Basically, she is very difficult to be around these days as she seems to almost always be in a bad mood. She was always an anxious person, but her mood swings became noticeable to the family about 10 yrs ago and every year seems to be getting worse. Basically, she is extremely controlling and obsessive about minor things. Her other family members have also noticed a change in her and attribute it to genes from her father-who was also extremely controlling and often in a bad mood. Multiple times throughout the day, she will yell at all members of the family for trivial things. She is extremely stubborn. She does have times where she is funny and joking around, but 90% of the time she is in a bad mood. She often seems fatigued and is often complaining of feeling tired. She focuses on things like for example my sisters weight, and will obsess about it. My sister is not overweight but she is not skinny, and my mom will ask her what she ate every day and watch her eat with a keen eye. After fights with my dad or sister, I have heard her say things like 'i wish i was gone from this world." She does not seem to be aware at all of her own symptoms and does not have any capacity for self-reflection. When we bring up how she is affecting those close to her with her behavior, she will criticize others. Often she will criticize many people in her life.
I guess my question is per the symptoms I described above, do you think she has a mental health disorder that can be treated? She is a physician herself but she is against seeing a mental health professional (we've brought this up before, but she does not want to comply), but I don't think she is against taking some sort of antidepressant. I appreciate your help in advance.
3/4/2013
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Do you think that she appears sad, irritable, complain of fatigue, poor concentration etc?

Dr Vikas :

Has she become paranoid, doubt the motives of other person, family members?

Dr Vikas :

Has rapid mood swings?

Dr Vikas :

any past history of psychiatric illness / medical illness?

Dr Vikas :

any past history of psychiatric illness in family?

Customer:

Hello Dr. Vikas, thank you for your questions. Yes, she often is irritable and complaining of fatigue. I don't think she has poor concentration. She is slightly paranoid, not really doubting motives of other but is definitely critical of others. Yes, mood swings are rapid. One minute she will tell a joke next minute she will yell at someone. No past history of illness, just her father was known to be very controlling and anxious person.

Customer:

On second thought, she sometimes does doubt the motives of others.

Dr Vikas :

thanks for your reply

Dr Vikas :

and what is her view about these observations by other family members?

Customer:

no problem

Dr Vikas :

is she aware of these symptoms or her annoying behavior?

Customer:

she is more critical of others more than anything else

Customer:

no she does not seem to have much self awareness, even though we bring it up with her

Dr Vikas :

OK.

Dr Vikas :

On the basis of symptoms you have mentioned her symptoms are not fitting in any particular diagnosis.

Dr Vikas :

most common diagnosis at this age are depression, mood disorders and occasionally paranoia

Dr Vikas :

dementia also start at this age

Customer:

hmmm...ok

Dr Vikas :

in her case, symptomatic treatment can be a possibility

Customer:

what is that?

Dr Vikas :

For example, antidepressant specially Fluoxetine can be tried

Dr Vikas :

do you think that she is verbally aggressive

Dr Vikas :

or aggression is there?

Customer:

she can be

Customer:

verbally aggressive sometimes.

Dr Vikas :

big talks, demanding behavior?

Dr Vikas :

inflated self esteem?

Customer:

right now there is more stress in the family as my dad is battling colon cancer and my cousin has advanced kidney cancer

Dr Vikas :

OH, sorry to hear about that

Customer:

that may be contributing....but these symptons were there before all of this

Dr Vikas :

so there is significant stressor present

Customer:

yes

Customer:

that is contributing...but like i said her behaivor was there before

Dr Vikas :

what about demanding behavior, irritability, increased self esteem, rapid mood swings, insomnia?

Customer:

we have asked her to see a health professional but she is stubborn and does not think anything is wrong with her. also, she is a physician from indian origin and for cultural reasons does not want to see anybody

Dr Vikas :

I can understand that.

Customer:

yes very demanding behaivor...when she wants something done like a minor task she wants everyone to stop what they are doing and do it for her

Customer:

yes i can tell by your name..are you from india as well?

Dr Vikas :

yes :)

Dr Vikas :

OK, so there is a possibility of mood disorder or depression

Dr Vikas :

but the treatment is totally different

Customer:

nice it helps to have someone from the same backgrond to understand

Dr Vikas :

:)

Dr Vikas :

for depression, Fluoxetine can be a good option while for mood disorder Aripiprazole (Abilify) can be a better option

Dr Vikas :

even a Physician can prescribe her these medicines

Customer:

ok, how can you tell which one is betteR?

Dr Vikas :

you can also ask her to try some online screening tests if she is willing to try

Customer:

my dad is a physician he can prescibe her

Dr Vikas :

do you think that she will try an online screening test if you ask her to do so?

Customer:

i can try to get her to do a screening test...not guranteed she will comply. do you have a link to a good one?

Dr Vikas :

it is above

Dr Vikas :

this screening quiz can help in ruling out depression or mood disorders

Customer:

ok got it..that is for bipolar. will that help distinguish between mood disorder and depression/

Dr Vikas :

at least will give an idea

Dr Vikas :

yes

Customer:

ok can i email you the results if she does comply?

Dr Vikas :

no need, you can see the scores and the possible diagnosis

Dr Vikas :

but you are most welcome to do so

Customer:

ok great, thank you so much for your help

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?

Customer:

excellent service, no I am good thanks.

Dr Vikas :

Great

Dr Vikas :

thanks for coming to JA

Customer:

have a great night!

Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist