Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Ive been signed off with depression for 2 weeks, i rather

ive been signed off with...

ive been signed off with depression for 2 weeks, i rather die than go back to work, will my doctor give me more time off?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2013
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Tell your doctor about all of your negative symptoms including your wish for death rather than going back to work. If you feel that negative then your symptoms are close to unbearable and he will be obliged to give you further treatment. It would be imprudent and risky to not give you another week or two whilst trying to help you regain your normal state of mind.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Give it your best effort and I believe that you can convince him of the wisdom of getting you some more therapy which will take more time. I also suggest that you speak to a psychotherapist (talk therapist or counsellor) to try to find the stressors in your life and work on seeing them in a new light under which you can better cope with them.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success and shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

thankyou for replying so quickly, its nice to have someone to talk to.my biggest worry is that i am pushing my friends and family away, im trying so hard to be my normal happy self and see them as much as i can, but i just want to be alone on an island somewhere.They seem to think that i will just snap out of it, or its not even a real illness, im starting to feel that everyone dislikes me and i feel my boyfriend is only with me because he feels sorry for me.I have felt like this my whole life, and i have tried lots of professional help in the past and non of it has worked, can i ever be helped ? :(

Hi -

Have you ever been abused or neglected of mistreated as a child?

Do you have a bad temper?

Do you ever hurt yourself (such as cutting)?

Do you have any eating disorders?

Did you ever witness something horrible or were in an accident or abducted, Etc.?

Anything else that may be significant that has occurred to you?

Answer and I shall respond.

I recommend also that you find some therapists who can help you with psychotherapy or counselling.

Here is a place to look:

http://www.psychfinder.co.uk/

Here is another:

http://members.psychotherapy.org.uk/find-a-therapist/

Here is a third place:

http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists/

And a fourth place:
http://www.cosrt.org.uk/find_therapist.asp

I look forward to hearing from you.

WSarm regards,

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist

Hi Elliot, i hope you done mind me replying to your last message, you have been a great help so far.Bad memories go back to when i was only 3, my dad was very agressive towards me and my sister, my parents then seperated and we moved to be close to my grandparents. my dad have afew supervised visits but soon lost interest.when i was 13 my mum got very sick and died, she had ms and i helped to take care of her for the last couple of years.After she died i moved in with my grandparents, a year later my grandad got cancer and died,so me and my sister had to move into seperate foster homes.i couldnt settle at any and i ended up moving 8 times before i settled in one. i started cutting myself when i was 16 and havnt stopped since.

Hi!

I don't mind helping at all. Thank you for the kind words as well.

You have the classic symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder. Let me show you the "official" psychiatric criteria from the DSM-IV manual. You will see what I mean.

BPD - DSM-IV

1.
Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.

2.
A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterised by
alternation between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

3.
Identity disturbance - markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense
of self.

4.
Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging, e.g.
spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving or binge-eating.

5.
Recurrent suicidal behaviour, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating
behaviour.

6.
Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood, e.g. intense episodic
dysphoria, irritability or anxiety, which usually lasts for between a few hours
and several days.

7.
Chronic feelings of emptiness

8.
Inappropriate, intense anger, or difficulty controlling anger, e.g. frequent
displays of temper, constant anger or recurrent physical fights.

9.
Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.

Anyone
with six or more of the above
traits and symptoms may be diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.
However, the traits must be long-standing (pervasive), and there must be no
better explanation for them, e.g. physical illness, a different mental illness
or substance misuse.

I have more for you, Beth.

Two books:

One for best therapy treatment which is Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, and the other discussion the disorder. I might give you a third one as well.

You are better treated with therapy than with drugs.

Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland

The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD by Alex Chapman and Kim Gratz

The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal... by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood and Jeffrey Brantley

I hope that this helps.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Elliott

Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist