How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMd Your Own Question
DrRussMd, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 65329
Experience:  MD, BA psychology, Emphasis on addictions, depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
DrRussMd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks in advance for your response. I need help on how to

Customer Question

Hi and thanks in advance for your response.
I need help on how to help a love one acknowledged that she has atypical depression and social anxiety and seek medical help.
She has all the symptoms, but would not talk about it and if I bring it up I know she withdraws.
I am so worried as she lives on her own far from family or any friends. She hardly gets out just sits in her place.
I am so worried about her emotional state but don't know how to convince her.
Any advice will be appreciated. I even went to psychologist for advice but they told me she has to do it herself. She can't probably due to social anxiety.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
Does she have a family doctor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Plus she won't go unless its an emergency. She hates dr offices.
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 4 years ago.
Is she in danger of harming herself or others?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is very passive and quit. Never shown signs but doesn't mean she can't do it. Her behavior tells me her depression is getting worst. She quit grad achool
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 4 years ago.
There is truly nothing you can do accept offer your wisdom and support.

Unless you are a therapist.

If she seems like she might harm herself, you can then report this to her doctor or the authorities and she can be admitted to the hospital for 72 hours of evaluation and treatment. But if she is stable after that, they have to release here.

Getting all friends and family together to express ;concern, if done correctly, can be helpful as well.

With the idea of getting her to a PhD clinical psychologist to help.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert. Other wise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept], But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information. Remember, answers do not substitute for a doctor’s visit.

For future questions ask for me I the title or request me at this link

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 4 years ago.
Are you able to see the above answer?
Click a smiley face?
Other questions?
Let me knwow