How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5809
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons M.D.[psychiatist] advised him "to get a lawyer and

This answer was rated:

My son's M.D.[psychiatist] advised him "to get a lawyer and get on disability",Monday.He . more depressed then ever.He has been medicating for bi-polar syndrome for 5 or 6 years and trying to stay functioning.Does he need another approach to his mental problem?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Your son is approaching his Bipolar correctly if he is seeing a psychiatrist and taking medications. But taking medications is only part of the available treatment for Bipolar. Your son can also use individual and/or group therapy as well as self help to improve is situation. Here are resources he can use to help get started:


Also, tell him to consider support groups either on line or in person. Talking to others who have the same symptoms as he has can help him to feel less alone and provide much needed support.

It sounds like your son's psychiatrist may feel your son is eligible for disability due to his level of functioning. While this may be true, your son has a few options. He can increase his treatment with therapy and self help to see if that impacts his level of functioning. He can also consider disability if he feels he struggles to maintain his job or other activities. An attorney is a good recommendation because even with a severe mental health diagnosis, disability often turns people down the first time they apply. An attorney can help your son not only win his disability but he may also receive back payments to help him.

You may also want to consider this resource for support and answers for your son:

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know his psychiatrist has not encouraged or reinforced the importance of other therapy.

That is a shame that the psychiatrist does not encourage therapy because talk therapy can help. Medications are necessary because Bipolar is thought to be an imbalance in brain chemistry so medications are the best treatment, but therapy can help your son learn how to cope with his stress and his symptoms much better so he not only feels better, but functions better as well.

I hope your son's psychiatrist will support therapy but if not, your son can talk to his regular doctor for referrals to a therapist or your son can search on line at

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

My best to you and your son,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

You're welcome! Take care.